Christmas projects ?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by TryHard, 7th Dec, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Hi all

Wonder if anyone else is using the Xmas break for property-related projects ?

Having finished the latest reno (not exactly on time or in budget !) I've been told by my 2 resident princesses that we can't possibly live in this new house without a pool.

Unfortunately for them, we put in a pool at our last place, and I know the budget will need to be at least $30K for the finished product ($30K I don't have!)

On the flipside, unfortunately for me, my darling wife knew I wasn't really using my ute anymore, so it was promptly sold and our bank balance increased by $20K.

To offset that shock, I immediately went and bought a new motorbike :) - bringing the balance back down closer to $10K.

So the short story is, I needed a half decent pool under $10K. We didn't want to go aboveground as we want to be in keeping with the other landscaping we're planning, and we don't have room for a 'normal' fibreglass inground pool in the planned spot.

Hence the Xmas project :

BUDGET

$3,000 - 4.6 x 4 metre concrete water tank 1.5 m deep (plunge pool style)
    $1,500 - pebbelcreting interior of pool
    $1,000 - Onga pump and sand filter, saltwater cholrinator (new from eBay)
    $1,000 - excavation and backfilling
    $2,500 - pool fencing and gate
    $ 500 - skimmer box, assorted pipes and fittings

$9,500 total

* plus will likely need another $500 for electrical / sundries - so there's the $10K gone :)

I have received royal approval to proceed, and we now have a "Dale dug a hole" in the ground. The tank's on its way (to be constructed on site) and the girls will be swimming by Christmas if all goes to plan.

I'll post photos of the progression as soon as there's something worthwhile to see :)

I was happy with the budget given a decent spa would cost around the same. Lets hope I'm still happy in a month !

Cheers
    Carl

2. Chris.R_WA

Chris.R_WA Well-Known Member

Well Carl,

Thats certainly more impressive than my Xmas projects...

I've got some paving to do (about 50 sqm), and a shade sail to erect and attach to the house.

Might actually get some holiday time in too...maybe ;)

3. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Xmas projects? As I multi task by typing this one fingered and eat lunch with the other hand, my wind is 'awandering at this very moment to all the very home based jobs that need doing at my own home lately...

The list is longer than usual, due to the fact that we're considering moving house next year, and so the pressure is on to get the home ready for sale- beginning these upcoming holidays!! We have carpet to replace, walls and ceilings to paint, fittings to be reinstated, holes to be patched, tiling, concrete resurfacing, guttering replacement/repair, kitchen bench replacement, landscaping, fences, garage door replacement and, of course, the numerous other "little" jobs that we haven't got around to for the last 5-7 yrs, including window frame re-oiling, various door, window and roof repairs, skirting board replacement (still sitting behind the lounge after a fireplace installation two winters ago) and repairs to tight taps etc etc.

Naturally, all tasks will be broken down into priority lists and all will run smoothly. I demand it! :D

4. Tizzy

Tizzy Well-Known Member

Yep!!

My Christmas holiday list includes extending the retic, hucking out the workshop, high pressure cleaning the brick pavers and sealing the sandstone....

....and I'm sure he'll do a great job. :D

...of course I'd help, but alas I'll be working ;)

5. ramone_johnny

ramone_johnny Well-Known Member

If everything comes together Ill be bidding on a million dollar property at Brookwater - that would be a fantastic xmas project! :)

RJ

6. Bricks & Mortar

Bricks & Mortar Member

Good luck with the pool Carl, the paving Chris, the moving and touch ups Jacque, the supervision from work Tizzy and the bidding RJ.

Our Christmas project, comes with a bit of a time warp.
    We've let things go in our PPOR for approx 7 years, as we've building IP's buying IP's and renovating IP's in the meantime but as the walrus said "the time has come" so it's all hands on deck, repaint the entire interior, convert the laundry into a walk in pantry, new laundry, a room extension, new bathroom, BIR to two bedrooms and finally clean the site and re-establish a garden. Unlike the other renos this year, we are subcontracting a lot of the work with builders.... using the weekends to add a fair share of labour, either painting, plastering, removing flooring/walls, etc
    Unfortunately Christmas dinner IS held at our place so everything needs to be semi finished quite soon. In regards to IPs we are supposed to be also settling on a property in Albury on the 20th, but I think that the settlement might blow out a bit, as contracts were late and Valuations have taken a week longer than anticipated, so the impending quick reno between Christmas and New Year wont take place, instead the priorty is to fully complete our own house.

cheers

Timm

7. ramone_johnny

Sounds dangerous Timmy! :D

Best of luck with it though - be sure to keep us updated with photos and a log along the way.

Merry Xmas!

RJ

8. TryHard

Jeez Timm, I might stop my whinging about Xmas workload then, that's a full schedule ya got there ! ;-)

9. ramone_johnny

I have a sneaking suspicion that christmas lunch will entail partially cooked chicken on a semi installed oven with electrical tools buzzing in the background! :D

RJ

10. TryHard

Chicken medium-rare. Yum :p

11. TryHard

Shade sails and beer go hand in hand, Chris. :)

12. Jacque

So how are we all going, fellow renovators? :)

So far I've patched one hole, done a wee bit of repair painting, and watched a fencing contractor put up a timber fence that my dog can now escape under! :eek: Not much, I'm afraid, in the scheme of things.....

B&M

Are you certifiably mad wanting to get all that done before Xmas?!!!!!!
    How's it going, or are you collapsed from exhaustion yet? :eek:

13. Chris.R_WA

Chris.R_WA Well-Known Member

OK Jacque, progress report:

Approximately half of paving done, waiting on delivery of last two packs (~20.4sqm) this Friday.

Distracted myself by helping the electrician for half of Monday. Left work at 12, to go home and run cables on the roof at 35C, with shoes melting onto the tiles. Got all the lights up (forgot to mention that in the first post...), 2 spots onto new paved area, 1 sensor light to driveway, 2 up/down lights flanking front door, 4 garden lights with 12V transformer. Love this daylight savings biz, was able to just finish it by about 7:30.

Haven't started erecting the sail yet, got all the gear just lying around atm. I did learn a very handy tip from the sparky though for concreting in the pole. Instead of digging the hole and pouring in the concrete and keeping the pole vertical, use a large potplant or old bucket. Pour the concrete in this, and set the pole in the bucket/pot overnight, then dig the hole and bury the lot. Should be much easier, and get a better result I feel.

Merry Christmas labouring to you all! :)

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Dec, 2006
  14. Bricks & Mortar

Bricks & Mortar Member

no chicken

No chicken but a full Hot xmas spread, We'll have to buy the Turkeys this weekend along with the remainder of the xmas pressies.
    1 gets cooked in the oven at home, the other two blocks away in the mother in laws oven.
    Our kitchen is fully workable (just missing grout behind the tiles - but this hasn't effected the food to date)

We do have a few more interuptions ahead, three birthdays and check out a venue for a May wedding B4 xmas, thank god the builders are doing most of the work this time.

Update:
    Electrican wired up everthing except the bathroom yesterday
    1.5 X 6 mt Decking is half completed
    Large room extension roof is plastered and being patched today, still awaiting the extra set of french doors and all hinges (delivery expected 14th) and two steps (stairs) to link to the house.
    Pantry needs new flooring and plastering
    laundry well at least its almost plastered
    extra bathroom will act as a storage roomwill not be in use this Year.
    Rumpus room, will hopefully get last patching and painted this weekend.

15. kevinb

kevinb Active Member

Hi TryHard

I put in a pool several years ago - sides are concrete pre fab - go in any shape you like, swim out, spa etc concete in bottom then a liner goes in - about 1.5mm thick.

No acid problems as with pebble and very easy to clean, sorry can't give the supplier I used - went broke

All up cost $13k - that was about 7 years ago

Rgds

Kevinb

16. peterf__

peterf__ New Member

woooo that would be waay cool you should start a thread and detail all your ups and downs and wins and losses with the project a blow by blow description of how its going we could all learn from that

17. TryHard

Maybe I'm just old and cynical, or more likely stupid, but is this a reference to the way RJ was given grief on 'another' forum ? If so, long live the Tall Poppy Syndrome. If not, then good on you for showing interest :)

18. ramone_johnny

Got the auction at 11am today - will be looking forward to seeing lots of "poker" faces! :D

RJ

19. Tizzy

Tizzy Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed for you RJ :)

20. Jacque

So how did you fare at the auction, Johnny?
    Looking forward to hearing the story of how it all went.... :)

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice