Combining super with spouse

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by MrsPlatten, 29th Sep, 2012.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MrsPlatten

MrsPlatten New Member

Hi There ..
    Just wondering if anyone could help me find out some more info about combining super funds ..
    Can this only be done through a SMSF? If not, could somebody please explain the process of combing husband/wife super accounts into the one? I wasn't aware it was an option but a study buddy has suggested it so would love to hear more about it!
    Thanks,
    Sam!

2. Andrew Newman

Andrew Newman Well-Known Member

Hi Sam

As your study buddy suggested the idea, ask them how it's done?

What are you trying to achieve?

Kind Regards

3. Superman__

Superman__ Well-Known Member

Hi Sam

Even with an SMSF each member has their own separate benefit within the fund even though the investments are pooled.

You can also split concessional contributions to your spouse (you don't need an SMSF)

But to follow up Andrew's question - we need to know the reason behind your question (if any) to give an appropriate answer.

Thanks
    SM

4. dareni

dareni New Member

Combining spouse super.

Hi,
    My wife is finished work and will probably never work again. Her balance is 30k and losing a few hundred dollars each year in fees. If we can combine our super isn't it worth it to avoid a second set of management fees. Thanks Daren.