Managed Funds Compare Funds - Managed Fund Comparison Charts and Statistics

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Simon Hampel, 1st Oct, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

Excellent feature Sim. I didnt know that Challenger asian fund was going so well. I might have to have my super pick that one up instead of platinum Asia.

Do you have a time frame on portfollio entries... ie we put in how much cash was put in on a particular day and the site lets you know you know how many units you've got, and perhaps percentage growth, and portfolio redemption value across all your funds :).

Its an awesome site, I hope you get some good avertising money from it, so you can keep making cool features.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Not sure yet ... my focus right now is on getting more data into the system - more fund managers and more funds.

I then want to add the ability to compare funds graphically (ie plot the performance of multiple funds on the same chart).

I'd also like to add support for charting various indicies, and then use them to compare against the funds - although this will be of limited value since I can't get Accumulation Index data :(

I've also got some other projects underway - and I do have to try and make some money to pay the bills at some point :(

Hopefully I'll be in a position to make a start on the portfolio part of the site some time next month - I'd like to have it all done before Christmas.

3. Simon Hampel

Okay, chart comparisons are now online: Compare Funds

... the easiest way to use it is possibly to use the Fund Statistics tables to find the funds you are interested in, then select up to five funds (use the checkboxes on the right of the tables) and click the "Compare" button at the top of the table. Note that this only works for registered users!

One Neato_FeatureTM I've added is the ability to "smooth" the results by using the moving average data rather than the actual unit price data to do the comparisons. You can choose to show 2, 5, 10, 20 or 50 day moving average data ... the higher the number, the less accurate it becomes in real terms, but the more it begins to show the underlying trend of the fund.

Example 1 (no smoothing)

[chart=CC;HBC0027AU,WAR0012AU,BTA0026AU,FSF0872AU;last3;none;20071102]HBC0027AU, WAR0012AU, BTA0026AU, FSF0872AU[/chart]

Example 2 (smoothed using 5 day moving average)

[chart=CC;HBC0027AU,WAR0012AU,BTA0026AU,FSF0872AU;last3;5;20071102]HBC0027AU,WAR0012AU,BTA0026AU,FSF0872AU[/chart]

Example 3 (smoothed using 20 day moving average)

[chart=CC;HBC0027AU,WAR0012AU,BTA0026AU,FSF0872AU;last3;20;20071102]HBC0027AU,WAR0012AU,BTA0026AU,FSF0872AU[/chart]

Don't forget that moving averages are "lagging" indicators ... for example, the 50 day moving average is the average value over the past 50 days, so the actual fund value may be much higher or lower depending on movement in the past few days.

4. voigtstr

Nice work Sim! very handy stuff!

5. shouldisell

shouldisell Well-Known Member

Awesome work Sim.

6. transit

transit Well-Known Member

Nice job! I've just registered and bookmarked this one. It would be a great feature if there were links to margin lenders for each fund or a table with what each lender will go to. I realise their LVR's change all the time but if you could find a feed for it that would provide up to date info this would be great.

I think infochoice.com.au may have this feature but not for specific funds.

7. Simon Hampel

Actually infochoice do have it for specific funds, but I wouldn't take data from there without permission - and it's a little awkward to get ... I'd only take data from the margin lenders directly (it's in their own best interest to make it available)

I do definitely intend to add margin lender features to the site ... that's one of the important measures I use ... if my margin lender isn't willing to lend 70%+ for the fund, they obviously don't think it's worth the risk ... and so I won't invest in it. That being said, I do have a good track record of getting them to increase LVRs on funds (all you have to do it ask ... and have a large loan :D )

8. samaka

samaka Well-Known Member

By 70% LVR you mean on a $100,000 invetment - $30,000 is your own money and $70,000 is a loan?

Or do you mean you've taken a loan for 70% of the value of your own money - e.g. you've put in $100,000 and you've taken a loan for $70,000.

9. gad

gad Well-Known Member

Hi Sim
    Any thoughts of putting up the Prime Value Growth Fund (PV0001AU)?
    This is one of the funds I diversified into. I got into the fund on 060807 & as at 011107 it has risen 16.57%. Wouldn't I love that over a full year :eek:)

10. Rod_WA

Rod_WA Well-Known Member

11. Simon Hampel

See this thread: Fund Manager / Managed Fund requests

The answer is ... unfortunately not at this point for Prime Value - they don't have full data on their website :(

If I can justify paying for a premium data feed, then I'll be able to those funds and all the others too.

12. gad

gad Well-Known Member

OK Thanks anyway Sim

13. samaka

samaka Well-Known Member

Can you add an option to choose how many results to display on 'Fund Statistics' page. Selecting the compare check box does not carry forward when you go to the next page of results - making comparing multiple funds a task involving opening the fund page and copy and pasting the APIR.

14. Simon Hampel

Can you do me a favour and post that in the help and feedback section of the Compare Funds website ? That way I'll have a record of it in the area I go to look for things that need attention.

Thanks!

15. Simon Hampel

I've now implemented LVR comparison for margin lenders: Compare Funds - Index of all Margin Lenders

... also on the individual fund profiles you can see a list of margin loan LVRs.

I get this information directly from the margin lender websites and it is updated daily - so it should be pretty accurate.

16. voigtstr

Necropost!

Sim, is the compare website still being updated? I'm getting "No data to display" when comparing funds.

GMO Aust Small Companies Trust is now closed in my super, so I'm looking to replace it...

my super is currently
    21.74% GMO Aust Small Companies Trust
    28.67% CFS WS Geared Share Fund
    16% CFS WS Property Securities Fund
    33.59% Platinum Asia Fund

So I'd be looking to swap the GMO Aust small companies trust for something else...

Maybe with China slowing a bit it might be time to swap that out as well...