Join our investing community

Corrupt nation holding a gun to the EU's head

Discussion in 'The Economy' started by Tropo, 2nd Nov, 2011.

1. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

2. Billv

Billv Getting there

Tropo

For the record Greece was occupied for 400 years by the Turks and the country rose from the dead so to speak. When you are fighting for freedom and you're funding wars, money is limited.

Fast forward to 2011 and it is now obvious that the medicine the French and Germans have prescribed isn't working and has strong side affects so IMHO the Greek people are right to refuse to take their medicine.

Curruption is a strong word when a large majority of the money the Greeks borrowed went straight to German and French companies to finance projects or weapon systems the Greeks bought and/or to bribe certain Greek politicians and convince them to sign up on those projects.

They all had it pretty good until the S#it hit the fun and now they are all ducking for cover trying to protect their territory when the right thing to do would be to accept responsibility and agree to subscribe a medicine without side affects eg lower interest rates through a Eurobond or something similar.

Instead they decided to kill the Greek economy and soon Italy and others will follow, even Germany won't be immuned from the recession which is about to hit them because when people don't have money they only buy essentials and German and French goods and cars won't be on their shopping list....

IMHO

3. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Bill,
    Are you suggesting that because Greece was occupied by Turks ages ago it has something to do with a current Greeks' situation (Greece wasn't the only country occupied in Europe).
    Greeks got independence in 1830 (I think), so today Greece should prosper reasonably well, (after II WW UK and USA spent big money rebuilding Greece).
    Buying weapon systems or other products from Germany or France has nothing to do with Greek problem. If you spend more than you earn, you are in a deep s...
    Greece defaulted 4 times.
    Is there any other country in Europe with the same record?

4. Billv

Billv Getting there

Tropo

I agree that Greece wasn't the only country occupied by the Turks but it was and still is the buffer between Europe and the Turks who as you probably know have their own plans for the Greek islands and southern Europe

5. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Bill,

As I know, Greece is not the only "buffer" country in Europe...
    But if they are willing to protect their islands (I heard this story), maybe they should rent a few islands to cover at least part of their debt.
    Anyway...If Greece defaults for the 5-th time, we might be in trouble.

6. Billv

Billv Getting there

Tropo
    Now you are thinking :)

I don't know if a default by itself will cause much damage, its the contagion from a default that worries me.

I'm hopeful that the Greeks will say yes to more pain but I think the medicine the French-German alliance are prescribing to the indebted countries is wrong, only a small dose of medicine is required or the economies will stall and the deficit will only get larger.

Instead, they should have found a way to lower interest rates so that the debt burden is small. Look at the US and Japan for example, their debt is huge in comparison to Europe and yet they don't have the problems Europe has

7. Chris C

Chris C Well-Known Member

Forget rent - just sell a couple.

8. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

That's another idea (227 inhabited islands out of 6000) ;)

9. Waimate01

Waimate01 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately not all of the islands are as you see on the posters. When you sail around the greek islands, you quickly notice most of them are bare mounds covered by small rocks, and you're left wondering why the Turks ever bothered. They're not all Santorini !

10. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Yes...as you said, majority of those islands are just dirt land, but there are approx. 20 islands which are main tourist attraction.
    Santorini to some extent is one of the kind.
    Personally I don't believe that Turks can create any treat to Greece or Europe right now.
    But in 17 century Turks were a real threat to Europe.

11. Billv

Billv Getting there