Join our investing community

Cost to put a kid through a degree in Australia?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Haumea, 20th Apr, 2018.

1. Haumea

Haumea Member

Here's an really off topic question

How much does it currently cost, to pay for a bachelor degree at an Australian university? I mean university fees for a 3 year course, not living costs.

My kid is 9, and wants to be a computer programmer. If by the time he reaches age 18, he still wants to do a Computer Science degree at a Sydney university (or elsewhere in Australia), how much will it hurt my back pocket?

The whole family are Australian citizens and Australian residents, but I got my degree in the UK 35 years ago, so no idea how the Australian system works. And for once, googling isn't much help, can't get straightforward answer.

twisted strategies likes this.
  2. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

3. Hosko

Hosko Well-Known Member

S&*#loads if you are intending to cover it all. Not so much if they are supporting themselves and you are only paying the education and not the living costs would be my interpretation.

4. Bantam Roosta

Bantam Roosta Well-Known Member

Look at HECS-HELP. Assuming it is still around, it can be a great way to pay for uni. A large number of the current generation have used HECS. Heaps better than the US loan system and it makes you son responsible for the debt.

HECS-HELP - Study Assist