Join our investing community

Could you give me some advice

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by newcomer, 9th Feb, 2010.

1. newcomer

newcomer New Member

Hi guys,

I am a 27 year old lawyer. I don't mind my job and the salary is OK. It is still pretty low as I am a Junior. In addition to Law, I completed Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) and I am pretty good with numbers and people.

I am thinking about becoming a financial planner for two reasons:
    1. I get a kick out of helping people.
    2. I have a strong interest in investments.

Some people say that financial planners are essentially sales people who push their clients to make investments/buy products which will maximise the planner's income, rather than doing what is best for the client. If this is the case, I would rather stick to my current carrier. How much is financial planning really about helping people with their goals, as opposed to just making money?

I would appreciate any feedback which people may have to assist me in making my decision.

Thanks very much.

2. Billv

Billv Getting there

2 very good reasons for becoming one
    IMO go for it

3. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

Hi newcomer

What investors need is a financial planner who will educate and work with their clients. When the investor becomes more knowledgable he/she will more than likely be able to maintain their plan

Years ago, when I first met my planner, I said 'index funds'. What I got was not index funds. But he was a professional and they know what they are talking about.

I couldn't live with this plan, and after a year I changed to index funds. It cost me $3400. It was a hard lesson to learn. My ex-planner also made 3 major mistakes in the change. I still get a trailing comission of $70 each month.

Newcomer, if you really want to help, to make a difference, you have huge opportunity. Making more money than a lawyer, I don't think so. Why not combine your talents and become a financial lawyer.

Cheers, Johny.

4. newcomer

newcomer New Member

thanks

thanks for the feedback guys, it gives me something to think about