DCA for VAS- Buy Now or Buy from LOC?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Intelligencer, 20th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

It's pretty simple. You work out your net negative cashflow (interest costs - dividend income) and get an approximate figure for tax refund by multiplying by your marginal tax rate.

So if you're on a 37% tax bracket and you've borrowed $10,000 @ 6% = $600 per year in interest and you make 4% return from dividends after fees = $400 per year in dividends then your net income is -$200 per year.

On a 37% tax bracket, you'll get a refund of around ($200 * 37%) = $74 for that $10,000 borrowing/investment (after tax net cashflow of -$126)

Those numbers scale up fairly well (so $100,000 LOC invested gets you $740 refund and after tax cashflow of -$1,260), although if you borrow enough to drop your taxable income down to the next tax bracket, you'll get even more.

Note that I'm ignoring franking credits, CGT and buy/sell costs in my simple calculations.

2 people like this.
  2. Intelligencer

Intelligencer Member

That's the plan, seek out potential CG areas and reno to turn into CFN or CF+ within a year.

Would you think it better to put the surplus cf into the offset or continue buying simple index funds?

Excellent, exactly what I was after. Thanks for the explanation :)

Not bad figures to be borrowing $100k to invest. Ideally that's what I was aiming to buy over 10-12years but worth considering sooner once serviceability to buy IPs hits the inevitable brick wall (hearing stories that it's now happening at 3 for some!)

2 people like this.
  3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I think that largely depends on 1) the interest rate you are paying and 2) the returns you expect from your funds.

If you had PPOR debt, it would be a no-brainer ... hard to beat guaranteed returns from reducing non-deductible debt.

However, investment debt isn't quite so simple - and if you're borrowing at, say, 6% but are confident you can achieve an average of at least that in total returns from your funds, then I'd lean towards the funds.

It also depends on whether you want to consider total returns or just income in the equation. Most funds probably can't beat the income returns you'd get from minimising interest repayments - even on an investment loan with tax taken into account ... but once you add in some growth, you'll probably be better off with the fund.

Of course if you have a down year, your total return will likely be negative - but you can either A) actively manage your investment to move to cash and park it in your offset account, or B) hold on and look at the longer term average returns in deciding which gets you the better return.

4 people like this.
  4. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

i hit beginner's luck (i admit it) in 2011 ,i had the basis of a plan ( including which two banks to focus on ...WBC and MQG and 'hedged ' the others by buying VAS and VHY smarter would have been VLC THEN , but not a total blunder .)

no future correction/crash before 2022 is (imo) is against the odds ( but must be allowed for )

that money being eroded is 'silent inflation ' ( taxflation/stagflation and shrinkflation )

even when investing wisely that is tough to beat (but at least you aren't imagining it )

as long as your plan for ETFs/shares has room for flexibility in it (say one month WES drops through $30 for no sound reason ).

'perfect for YOU' is the best you can hope for .

good luck .

2 people like this.