Join our investing community

Deductions for bro-bono work?

Discussion in 'Accounting, Tax & Legal' started by Rob777, 18th Jul, 2012.

  1. Rob777

    Rob777 New Member

    18th Jul, 2012
    Sydney, NSW
    Hi all,

    I've been reading some really good discussions here so I am hoping you might be able to help me also?

    I'm an employee for an IT company, however over the past financial year I have been traveling to Asia several times to carry out volunteer IT work. This has been totally unrelated to my employment, but still in the same profession. Until now I have not had an ABN or any tax/company setup.

    Is there any way I can claim deductions for my expenses in relation to this volunteer work over the past year?
    Going forward, if I keep earning an income from employment in Australia and carrying on volunteer work is there a way to claim my expenses as deductions?

    So far my tax agent has said it's not possible, so I'm looking for creative idea's!

    Thanks in advance.
  2. Terryw

    Terryw Well-Known Member

    9th Jun, 2006
    I don't see any way.

    You could donate money to a deductible gift recipient and claim it, but not volunteer labour to travel to volunteer.