Join our investing community

Die at your peril

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wdongli, 18th Mar, 2012.

1. wdongli

wdongli Well-Known Member

A ABC news made me laugh and very happy:

There is a law to say it is illegal to die!

It's not unusual for a local council to pass a law banning this or that: dogs must be on a lead, the garbage must be put out on Tuesdays, that sort of thing.

A village in Italy has come with a unique edict: die at your peril.

In the mayoral office, a new decree is on display for all to see.

From now, it is illegal to die here.

The decree reads: "it is forbidden for residents to go beyond the boundaries of earthly life and go into the afterlife."

Well that's good news if the grim reaper was hovering a little close to you. After all, from now on every villager can look him in the eye and say: 'I can't die, it's against the law.'

The old adage has it there are only two certainties in life, death and taxes.

In Italy taxes have long been something of a suggestion rather than an obligation, and now death too ruled out.

So surely Falciano is a heaven on earth.

Certainly local thinks so.

"I wonder how many people might ask for citizenship here. You cannot die here." "Its a beautiful place. You can have a very long life eternal life. It would be nice."

It has been reminded everyone that defying death by decree is the gift of God, not the mayor.

It's unclear what the punishments await those who defy the law and die anyway.

The death penalty has to be ruled out in these cases. Already two of the 4,000 residents of Falciano have turned up their toes and therefore their fingers at the law and there are no doubt others with similarly rebellious plans.

But rules is rules; the law is to be obeyed.

So in this part of Italy, the good life is also the long life. In fact, the eternal life.

Die at your peril - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

2. wdongli

iiNet wins copyright case!

A High Court decision to dismiss an appeal that said it proves iiNet never supported unauthorised downloading.

1. High Court five-nil ruling confirms that iiNet is not liable for authorising the conduct of its customers who engaged in online copyright infringement.

2. The best way for the film industry to protect content owners' copyright was to increase the availability of lawful, online content in a more timely, affordable manner.

In my view it is one of the wins for the future. Good work of iiNet!

iiNet as most of ISPs who provide the channels between its customers and information providers, which could be legal or illegal. Happy to see no damages to the channels even the legal information providers want to make all of roads blocked to protect their interests only which should not be legal.

Info providers argued
    1. ISPs had the power to prevent its customers from infringing copyright by issuing warnings and suspending or terminating customer accounts.

(wli: Drivers said Road builders have the capabilities to set up check points to stop...)

The court said:
    2. ISPs had no direct technical power to prevent its customers from using the BitTorrent file sharing system to infringe copyright.

3. ISPs power to prevent its customers from infringing ... copyright was limited to an indirect power to terminate its contractual relationship with its customers.

Internet has being changed everything, which has being aspired, confused, and frustrated people everywhere. The existing legal model about copy right are the result of industrial revolution rather than info exploration.

Info providers would fail to use the out-of-dated legal mechanism for their self-interests which is against the interest of human kind as a whole. Information and knowledge need free floating and new business model needs for a balance of information production and this free floating. In my view it is not ethical to block this floating even current legal system still make the attempts to block the floating legally.

No anyone could stop the free floating of info and knowledge as that no one could stop the industrial revolution even with violence and radical worker and poor's revolution! No self-interests of any one and group should be over the interests of the human kind as a whole!

It is amazing if we can use internet properly. It is disastrous if we get lost in the overwhelming and overloaded information.

I feel very excited when I use ABC news to improve my English listening. It is so effective since I could correct my pronunciation and adjust my steps for my goals and let me feel involvement in my mind updating in my study room. I feel the improvement day by day, which reward and motivate me to keep my efforts. What's next after I could get English as my mother language or how could I parallel other direct goals with my English listening improvement?

Where should I start to set up a viable and profitable business model in stock market? Could I find some meaningful projects which could make the life after 55 more colorful and significant?

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Apr, 2012
  3. wdongli

Yes, you are old but...

Before I read the news about the discrimination of old people in employment, I did never feel I was old. Am I old? Yes, it is true! Fortunately I was trained in R/D field of the engineering. Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to think deeply enough about the life and market.

I have the skills to educate myself. I have the losing experiences in the stock market for a decade. I have spent a lot of time to change myself for wiser and intelligent actions rather than sitting in the sideline to complain only! Sometimes I wonder why I chose the way to be an Engineer?

Now I know it was the chances of my generations then in China. You didn't have so many chances after the Cultural Revolution but it did give me the best chances in my generation.

I am lucky. I have been in internet since 1990. IT boom and bust told me that we can have a lot of new tools but if we don't have the mind to master them we would be doomed. Mind updating is not about brain destroying but reviving it.

Mental framework updating is a process of reintegration and creation with what I have got. I have got a lot and I need to use them wisely and open new chances for my life. I need to zoom out for opening my mind; I need to zoom in to get the plan to make the profit bit by bit; I need to get balance between the fortune and budget; I need to get balance between the killing and direct goal security!

Biases and discrimination are part of human history even all of us come from a same place, African. Human can choose to succumb to the biases and discrimination but he also could choose to open his own way for rebirth. Life is in your hand!

Do you know the didgeridoo, its spelling, its shaping, its pronunciation, and then the underlying culture? Seriously I know just part of these things and I just never try to remember its pronunciation before.

It sounded OK while I worked on a sophisticated but very specific project but it just gives me the chances to reshape my mind for my practice in the stock market. Wisdom needs juice of history and culture. Skills and advanced system could lead to wisdom but wisdom is not the skills and any models.

It is wise to know that

1. science is about trials and errors for truth. Could you blow the didgeridoo artistically and never fail without trainings?

2. Stock market never let us to trail and error without the cost. When you fail to control the cost for truth, you could be changed too much.

3. In our workshop and office few worry about the cost even trained intensively to do things. In the stock market if you don't think the cost, you would be doomed to fail.

4. If we want to be wise and profitable in stock market, we need more than the skills and models. It is about the strategies, plans, compromising, balancing and rebalancing, and dynamic intelligence.

5. We simply don't have enough skills and knowledge plus our lack naturally in wisdom when we could rigorously chase after one idea or one thing only.

Internet and all around the computer give the platform for us to reshape our minds for what we really enjoy to work, but do you know you need the cash income to secure your enjoyment for the work you could dance to do?

One lesson is fatal: market doesn't give you the chances to trail and error. The losses can be stopped theoretically and when your mind is cool, but few could stop them always before they doom you! Few of traders could overcome their false logic until they don't have any money to make the losses any more.

Losses are true risks in the stock market. It should be avoided for your buying. Stopping losses should be only used to stop your human errors. It is not because the logic but few of us could follow the logic when we bet our hard-earned money with the false belief we could stop the losses on time.

It needs constant alert that the inclination that I tend to forget no mistakes can be tolerated by Mr Market. To make this self-defensive alerting alive, I need a fluent spoken English and excellent English listening, which could be used to let it into my bonds and bloods.

All in all I need the language for me to get a great disposition and behavior in the stock market. Without the mastering in language I could not update my mind efficiently and let consciousness guide my way in the stock market. If I could not push my English into one as my mother language, I could not get the confidence to say I could update my mind as the market wants.

I need the light in the darkness of the stock market. I need English as a bench mark for my mind updating. With the light I could choose the most safe, viable, and effective tools for my cash income and fortune accumulation.

Could I do what I enjoy? Of course I can since people can change themselves. I have changed myself constantly while I chased my dreams. If the market could give others chances and let them matured mentally, I could even each of human have different backgrounds and limitation.

I do need to know the limitation and then work on it to run around my corner until I have the capability to build my own castles. I do need to know mental framework updating needs the first step on the right road.

I do need to know it is a evolutionary path and I could run it in full-speed in my physical and mental limitation.

Where am I now? Suddenly I could get the points from the sport news by listening ABC news which I never put any efforts to understand until one month ago.

I don't have a pair of bare hands only. I could educate myself since I had spent nearly 15 years for the academic research in Univ. I have spent a lot of time to understand the greats in the stock market. I need to stick on what I want to do in the way human can do!

Volcano could be dormant to human sense, but it never stops its own development. If it could not explode up from silence, it would die! My task is get my mind updated to fill the gap between falseness and truths in this specific field, stock market.

Buying safely actually needs the proper responses to the changed market environment in all of time when your money is big enough in the stock market. We are not completely stupid or insane but we could be insane sometimes.

The mental updating is to get the insanity away if you put your toes into the stock market. We need to train ourselves as the firefighters are trained to reduce the damages without any tolerance to risk their bodies.

There are a mental threshold to put the firefighters in risk or safety. We have to get over this threshold and then we would get our mind to look after ourselves subconsciously or in intuition.

It is the same for English listening capability. Before you could differentiate the pronunciation for enough words properly, you could not let your mind to get into self-learning mode to watch or listen TV or radios. This differentiation can be done intentionally or work with people with enough talking.

Once the threshold is broken out, a positive feedback loop to understand the words by pronunciation would be setup and then it would move into self-fulfillment. Why don't we spend months or years just for our listening capability in our mother language? We have got our mind to pick up any new words for our needs if we want by pronunciation only.

Patience is virtue for your mind updating, right? Evolution means some sort of repeat to understand some very basic logic with different context and conditions. You don't need to be genius but you have to do your job!

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Apr, 2012
  4. wdongli

Life could be tough but...

I knew life was tough sometimes or to someones who have dropped through the cracks of all society.

I have known life could be tough and extremely tough to the people in the stock market who have dropped through the human errors or holes in the market. Moving to ABC news to promote my English listening have shown me how excellent or bad about life.

Life is good; life is problematic; life is challenging; and good life could be dreams for the people who unfortunately drop into the life cracks in their early life, such as that in babyhood or teenage time or whatever the time which is just against you.

The society needs to make chances for those who are in the cracks of their life but it has its limitation and need the desires for those who are in cracks to fight out from the cracks.

Investment and trading mean risks and chances. There are consequences for each of your decision in the stock market, killings, so-so profit, accumulated losses, and all burnt on the fire.

We could boast how we are genius if we make killings; We could curse how the heartless Wall Street devises the traps for poor; We could use YouTube in the sideline to beat on the pondering for sanity; and so on.

However one element is critical for your performance, that is whom you are! Everyone can fail in the stock market at anytime but someone is doomed to fail and someone is designed to win out through the affordable losses.

We have to be self-aware, right? Someone can speak English fluently but talk about as though no brain.

In Australia if you were born here you have already got a excellent gift. You have held the tool to fetch the logic, wisdom, knowledge, skills, and so on. We, as human, tend to abuse our gifts due to the lack of desire to face the challenges.

With the dream and gut against the challenge plus the help of logic and wisdom, we could get some gifts to overcome the inequality of the delivery of the natural or inherent gifts, even some gifts could not get after the birth.

So what's the gift I do need but not available to me? Plenty of them! Back to reality, I want to get enough profit every year even everyone else just lose the money! The reality was I met challenges I never had met before. I just could not get what I want!

Don't blame me and remember if you lose money it is your problem and you could not get anyone's tears and mercies. Usually you deserve! Stock market is a place if you could not make money you should leave it alone or you have to reprogram your minds to make the less losses and make the money.

I really want to challenge myself even some of my old friends ridicule about me for my not populous ambitions: updating my mental framework. At 55, how many people really want to do things driven by dreams?

Do agree I am old but I am not too old to learn. Behavior and disposition, plus lucks on the right position at the right time, make difference in the market and life which is what I believe.

The mistakes made in last year forced me to stop my full-time study in the stock market. Why are their mistakes? Investment or trading should be the operation to make your pocket full. It is impossible to get a full pocket if we are not extremely lucky with first prize of some gambles. These mistakes tell some fatal problems in my mind and warn me if I don't change I would be doomed in the stock market.

Changes can take evolutionary with careful risk control or revolutionary to fight with blood and tears. I do want the challenges for my life but I don't want to fight to death for the money! Some compromises have to be made!

Last edited by a moderator: 22nd Apr, 2012
  5. wdongli

Boys, you are lucky!

What's the first step I should take after losing too much paper profit? In the desperation to see the paper profit gone, I did realize I need a very strong corner which could sustain any shocks or stampede of the crowd or market warriors.

We do need to be survival and then we could thrive in the market. How could I get this so simple but hard task done? I do need to be disciplined, analytical, and self-reliant. All need the wisdom and intelligence which could pop out when they are needed.

If last decade I could not get enough profit and have to stop the full-time study in the stock market, I could not be sure I could not repeat my mistakes again. I need to change. Change needs the tool to communicate for reality, wisdom, and intelligence.

I could read and write in English for my jobs in my trained field but I could not use the Spoken English and English listening to speed up the risk identification and chances recognition. Simply saying I don't have these gifts.

I am never ambitious in politics and social power even I never am lack of interests about the world and philosophies and then I never thought I needed excellent English about the social and financial systems. However the shocks in last year let me know I need it.

Education means effort and resource. Gift means favors and focus. I have some excellent resources such ABC news with transcript and click for pronunciation. I have locked $60,000 for English. I would like to spend 3month - 1 year in English.

English Listening is needed terribly for my mind updating but it could not generate any cash income so that I have to think about how to get extra cash income for self-reliance.

Market is rollers-coasters always. I improve my English listening is to build my last defensive line or trade in the market wisely. Market would make chances with little risks time by time! They could be so obvious if we know some basic enough.

I would wait for the chances with little risks. If I identify any of this kind of chances I would hit out with affordable capital. I would put my annual cash income, $15,000 as my direct goal, which I need to keep my life style without changes.

A lot of traders say you could not know when the market is at the bottom. It is not right philosophically. You can but you can not do that always and on one can not do due to greed and fear of the crowd.

You can increase your probability to be profitable for your portfolio by simply waiting and seeing for the worst happen. It is an ocean. It always makes the low and high. Some low are chances and some low are the traps! Some high are the result of huge trend and some high are the spikes.

I need to ponder what my position to the low and high! I have to learn the balance and compromising. I have to learn I am an human and I would make mistakes so that I have to get my buffer for the rainy days.

We all lived in some social boxes, which usually were made with our natural gifts and where we are when we were born, 50 or 100 years ago. Internet crashes down a lot of barriers among the boxes even not all.

It is hard to climb out of the boxed you stay! It is never easy. I just kept to move around the boxes in my life. It is good and also bad. If I don't change my boxes I don't need to learn English but if I could master the English listening I could make more colors for my life and benefit to the societies.

I am wiser and much wiser than last year. I would ponder what next I should do after my English listening get into a positive feedback loops. Anyway I have the things I really want to do!

Do feel my luck in human history no too many have the chances to change their boxes in their 50s, 60s, or 90s. Most of human being so far just could not live so long. We are facing the challenges no too many could have the chances to faces.

6. wdongli

Is it a joke?

If you download a movie without paying, the film makers want the people think they are thefts and should be punished, which sounded as a joke.

I do feel copy right law are too old which are based on the industrial revolution. So the problem is the out-of-dated law motivated somebodies for their self-interests. It seems all of information in the internet should be free except you can provide the information without need to search. No one could not stop this trend.

Some one highlighted:

1. A lot of people don't see illegal downloads as being wrong in the same way as stealing physical items.

2. It is more similar to the crime of trespass than it is to theft.

3. Something are over there and people could choose to pay or not for their copies in this information age since people would pay if they thought the payment deserved.

4. Politicians or movie makers want everyone thinks it is theft or stealing to download but not.

5. Downloading is not taken seriously morally. People could say if I don't download I would not still come to the cinema to watch the film. They could just be curious.

5. Unless the criminal law ultimately is consistent with people's norms and the way people think about it then it has the effect of sort of undermining the effectiveness and the legitimacy of the law if people really don't take the law seriously.

6. Young people have different attitudes about how to deal with intellectual property. There are too many ideas in the internet. Before we don't have too many ideas in the industry time but not now.

7. Nearly all who download movies would never never walk into a bookstore or CD store and steal something off the shelf. They view downloading different from stealing a book or CD.

8. Time changes, the information to people means different somewhat, and if any one follows the business model and try to make money from the out-of-dated law, it makes jokes.

Most of points from the news from ABC: "Illegal downloading not theft: law professor," the address is changed by the index of news. If you are interested in you could google for this title.

Last edited by a moderator: 22nd Apr, 2012