Difference between Applied Finance and Financial Planning?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by ray6663, 1st Jan, 2011.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ray6663

ray6663 New Member

Hi,

I am new to this forum, as well as in finance industry but i am interested in finance and thinking about to get some courses in finance.

What would the best way/course and college to start for a newbie like me?

Also I wanted to know what is the difference between Applied Finance and Financial Planning?

Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator: 1st Jan, 2011
  2. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Ray,

Financial planning course is structured to give retail advice on things like superannuation, managed funds, insurance and investment.

Applied finance course is structured for investment banking on things like trading options, futures, interest rate securities, foreign exchange, valuation of companies and funding.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dan

3. ray6663

ray6663 New Member

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it. So financial planning and applied finance are totally a different things isn't it? I thought we can get an applied finance degree and do a major in financial planning.

An also where can I do a diploma in applied finance. Do they offer the course anywhere? I went to kaplan they only offer applied finance in postgraduate.

Another option is macquarie uni, but its a bachelor for 3 years.

Regards,
    Ray

4. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Ray,

They are both in finance but different specialities.

The closest thing to Applied Finance would be the Dip Financial Services (Financial Markets) though this is more an introduction to the Investment Banking side of things.

Many unis offer variations of both financial planning and applied finance, whether by attending lectures or distance.

Cheers,

Dan

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia