Join our investing community

Dip Fin Plan Case Study - RG146 Training Australia

Discussion in 'Financial Planning Study Group' started by Happs, 2nd Jul, 2010.

1. Happs

Happs New Member

Hi,

Is anyone studying their Diploma Financial Services (Financial Planning) though RG146 Training Australia?

I have just completed all my exams for DFS1-4 and am about to commence the final Case Study.

I thought this would be a good opportunity to create a thread to offer and request help to students completing their exams and/or case study.

Happs.

2. youngone

youngone New Member

hi,
    im studying my Diploma of Financial Services RG146, I am doing the assingment with the case study on Walter Gannon. Have you got any advice or pointers? I am completley new to the finance field so I am struggling a little.

Youngone.

3. micdan

micdan Active Member

Hi Youngone
    I have just successfully completed this assignment, so if you have any queries I am happy to help. I like you am very new to the industry. I found Kaplan very supportive, likewise the members of this forum.

4. elodie86

elodie86 Member

Hi,
    I am preparing the case study on Walter Gannon too.We should help each other if we have any questions...
    How are the people doing that case study going so far ?

5. youngone

youngone New Member

hi,
    Im working my way through the fact finder, but im coming up with a lot of blanks, should leave them out or do they (kaplan) want u to make assumptions for at least some of them?? i know, i read that they want u to adjust the fact finder to the material provided and you have to list the assumptions u have made..im just a bit clueless as to which ones i need to have in it and make the assumptions for.

any advice, anyone??

6. micdan

micdan Active Member

When completing the factfinder I assumed that Walter has insurance cover on his home, contents and motor vehicle. I valued his home contents at $50,000. I ended up with quite a few blanks.
    Regards
    Michelle

7. youngone

youngone New Member

thankx michelle, how are u going with it all elodie86?

8. elodie86

elodie86 Member

I am a bit stuck on the first part about the income and expenses. We don't know the return of the share portfolio and the interest rate of his term deposit. How is everyone dealing with that for the calculation of interests and franked dividends etc..???

9. youngone

youngone New Member

Hey,i just assumed the percentages for both and at the bottom of the fact finder and just stated that i have done so

youngone

10. elodie86

elodie86 Member

Hi everyone !!!
    Does anyone think that the recommendation about investing Walter's $40,000 into a balanced managed fund is not a good option ???
    I made the calculation and he would be better off at the end if he invested his money in a high yielding savings account : $46,794 after 4 years with a savings vs $43,000 with managed fund because of the fees. Obviously, it also means that his income after tax will be a bit lower because of the interets of a savings account being lower.
    What does everyone think ???

11. micdan

micdan Active Member

Hi elodie86
    I actually agreed that the $40,000 should be placed in a balanced fund. From memory the funds would need to be accessed in 4-5 years, as it will experience less volatility than a growth fund over that time-frame. I pointed out that Walter will also be able to receive franking credits.

I hope this helps.

Michelle

12. chrisyap

chrisyap New Member

Anybody doing the Allison and Simon case study?

13. elodie86

elodie86 Member

No sorry chrisyap. We are working on Walter Gannon case study. But we might be able to help if you have any problems..

14. Devoni

Devoni New Member

What return and fees did you assume the MF would be giving/charging? By that value ($43,000) it looks like less than 2% net return which seems a bit low for a 'balanced' MF (on average).

15. elodie86

elodie86 Member

Thanks. I checked my return rate as well as the management fees and they were really high. Now my results look way better ;)

I was wondering is anyone understand the question 3 d)

"Given the information you have collected on Walter’s current situation and future requirements, detail the important financial requirements that need to be addressed when developing an appropriate strategy for him. "
    I don't really see what we are supposed to say on that question. Should we talk about the risks of investing..?:confused:

16. Devoni

Devoni New Member

I've assumed they want us to talk about Walter's position and future needs i.e., that he needs money for his girls for secondary/tertiary education (and preparing the funds for the appropriate time frame), his retirement needs etc and that there's a need to have 'x' amount of funds at 'y' time period.

To fill out the word requirements I'd talk about the potential risks involved with the investments and mention the time frame of each 'need' which then expands into short term volatility and that some investments are more appropriate than others (i.e., longer term - generally can withstand more growth oriented investments, shorter term - generally more conservative investments).

17. micdan

micdan Active Member

Hi Elodie
    When I answered this question I mentioned debt management, Risk Protection, Savings, Investment, Retirement Funding, Social Security, Taxation and Estate Planning.
    Michelle

18. Happs

Happs New Member

Hey Chris,

I have just started this one!

I think I have over-insured Simon though. About to look at their superannuation positions and investment options for things like buying the new car and grandchildren's school fees.

FYI, I'm leaning towards increasing Allison's personal insurance in her super to be more tax effective (which is one of their goals).

19. patricia

patricia Member

[hey there

hope you managed to finish this case study.. how did you go??

i am doing it now and struggling to find the time between my two girls and working full time.

did you pass the case study.

look forward to your reply

thanks

20. patricia

patricia Member

hi Chris i am doing the case study now.

i notice you did it in august.

how did you go??

look forward to your reply