Join our investing community

Dip in FP - Kaplan, Pinnacle, RG146 or Integrity?

Discussion in 'Financial Planning Study Group' started by joed, 10th Jun, 2011.

1. builder2818

builder2818 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear, the only unfortunate thing for you however is that you may only be a number of (if not the only one) people who are doing their diploma through that training provider.

If they are vague like Kaplan are at helping and explaining things, you may find it difficult as you progress.

But best of luck anyways.....

2. aikodani

aikodani Aikodani

Builder, what RTO would you suggest for the FP course?

3. joed

joed Member

Thanks 4 your take, builder.
    For me, it made more sense to go with RG146TA than Kaplan as it cost < 25% of Kaplan :) (with the gvt funding). Of course, there are other RTOs with gvt funding, but I found it more comfortable with RG146TA.

As far as only few ppl doing diploma with them (as perceived by lack of them on this forum), it's prob bcoz RG146TA has their own forum and chat system! So ppl are prob sticking to RG146 forum for their help, rather than going to an outside forum.

Anyway, I've received my course materials, and so far have found it quite readable and informative. And the practice qsts for each part within the subject gives a good feel about the final multi-choice qsts. And even student support so far has been quite prompt in replying to any query I've had.:)

4. builder2818

builder2818 Well-Known Member

Kaplan and Pinnacle seem to have the best rep in the industry. Then again, what would I know - I don't think the course has much weighting anyway - it's seems a bit of joke industry (financial planning).

I work for one of the biggest fund managers in the country and they use Kaplan for all their training - including bringing teachers to our work to teach courses to us.

At the end of the day it's just about being compliant with ASIC's regulations - it's not going to turn you into an advice guru.

5. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Joed,

Well done for enrolling it's the first step into the industry.
    As Builder said that it won't make you an advice guru, experience and continuing education will make you a much more informed person.

Well done again.

Cheers,

Dan

6. joed

joed Member

Thanks AsxBroker!
    -Any advice on how to go about getting that experience you mentioned?
    -And is it better to do 1 or 2 subjects before looking 4 some exp, or just do full diploma
    1st, then look 4 something?

7. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Joed,

Keep your eyes open for the opportunies.
    Try after the 2 subjects though it would be the earliest stage, keep focussed on the studies and see what opportunities come up.

Good luck!

Dan

8. WannaBeFP

WannaBeFP New Member

I thought I would reactivate this post rather than start a new one as i am in a similar position to the OP and want to start a Diploma of Financial Services by distance education.

My current impression of the three main providers:

Kaplan - seems to be the most widely used and offer a fairly wide range of couses. Some questions about the user-friendliness of their study materials and time for responses.

Pinnacle - newer to the market but seem to be favored by AMP. I have read their course materials were completely redone not that long ago so maybe they are a bit more current and they also offer a payment plan option.

RG146 - links with the CPA and offer credit if you later decide to do a Bachelors of Financial Services through UNE and also offer reduced fees if you qualify for government support.

I'm not interested in continuing with a Bachelors (I already have one in a separate discipline so if I was to do anything degree-wise later it would be a Grad Diploma or Masters) and I don't qualify for any Government support so RG146 don't have any particular advantage for me. I'm going to be studying full-time so I think I can knock over the course pretty quickly and move on to the Advanced Diploma. My main interests are therefore the standing of the course, the quality of the course materials, and quick turnaround of assignments so I can get onto the exam and complete each unit.

Interested in any feedback from forum users who have studied with any of these providers recently (or are currently studying with them)

Thanks

9. squeak043

squeak043 Member

I can not comment on the others but my experience with KAPLAN so far has been absolutely WOEFUL!!!

I wont go too much in to the nitty gritty but i was marked "Not Yet Competent" for my RM assignment on the basis my "amounts insured were too high and wouldn't be accepted by an underwriter". In my eyes it was a crock of **** so i took it to a financial planner with 24 years experience. He couldn't believe it... He said my amounts insured were perfectly acceptable and if it was him he would INCREASE the trauma insurance i recommended.

After a long war with KAPLAN spanning over many days, I ended up speaking with the course manager who told me the "assignment was out of date" and they could see my sums insured were perfectly fine. However I was told to redo the assignment and reduce the sums insured, which I did and was deemed competent. So in the end I deliberately answered the question wrong and was marked right!

We have since been told the assignment is being re-written to suit today's legislation rules etc.

The one thing I found is that the markers know nothing. They are given a markers sheet with "answers" and go by that. The markers are also inconsistent, an associate of mine sent off their assignment and soon after realised they answered a question completely wrong, to their surprise they were deemed competent for that question anyway. Yet I answered the same question correctly and was deemed not yet competent as i didnt do 4 examples (long story). It really goes by the markers mood on the day i think =p.

The other thing that really frustrated me is that its their "policy" that students can not speak with markers over the phone, you can only send in your question by email and any marker could read and respond.

Their assignment questions are also poorly worded.

It seems once you've payed for your course, thats where their help stops. I can not see why you can't speak with your marker, it might be a simple misunderstanding that can be fixed with a 5 minute phone conversation but instead you must send an email with en expected reply of 2-14 days!!!

So there my little spiel over KAPLAN... Not sure how everyone else has found them but everyone I've spoken to has had the same problems!

10. mrcowisliterate

mrcowisliterate New Member

DIp fp

Kaplan does not offer the face to face courses any more.

11. mrcowisliterate

mrcowisliterate New Member

RE squeak

Yes I have gone through some issues like that too, no phone with the tutor so the emails on a complex question goes back forth multiple times and the wording of questions are a revenue maker I think.

12. Accountant

Accountant New Member

Kaplan RG 146

I have just completed the Kaplan course. It was a very tedious process, and looking back, it was not worth my time.

The assignment was unnecessarily long. Lots of copying and pasting from one section to another, which I found was pointless. The questions were not clear and were not practical. For a couple over 60yo with plenty of assets, we were asked to discuss at length LRBA in an SMSF. I found this pointless and silly. Feedback was not helpful and it seemed they just wanted lots of words, not quality of answers.

I have spoken to some other accountants who have done the course. Same feedback from them. Waste of time.