Direct share in SMSF finally went over $1mil

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Handyandy, 6th May, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Well finally, this week, the value of my direct share portfolio in my SMSF exceeded $1mil.

I was watching it earlier this year and the value came teasingly close but then we had that correction which reduced the value by about 80k. Its taken this last few months to restore the value and finally break the $1mil:D

I know its only an arbitrary value but brought a smile to my face and certainly pleased the wife.:cool::eek:

Cheers

2. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

...congrats!

3. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Nice one Andreas.
    I hope your Qantas shares aren't in there - could dip below that milestone on Monday morning my friend :eek:

4. Handyandy

Such negativity;) :p

Yes the qantas shares are part of this amount but then again the Platinum aren't so in fact even if the qantas shares dropped to zero just at the moment I have $20,000 banked in the Platinum IPO. (may still not get filled:()

But I take your point. I am more than aware that it is a transient milestone that will no doubt slip yet again before finally breaking upwards good and properly.

Cheers

PS I am going to hold on to the Qantas shares in the SF just to see what will happen. If some of the commentators are right then there could be a nice bonus in it. (pure gamble)

5. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

Well done Handy Andy.
    I love using milestones also. My next milestone is 1m net equity excluding PPOR and Super. In other words, 1m of income producing net equity.:D

MJK

6. hillsguy

hillsguy Well-Known Member

handyandy, are you close to retirement age ?

7. Handyandy

I am 52 and already technically retired. I say technically because I don't get paid any longer apart from my own investment vehicles.

The super was accumulated when I was running a business (up to Nov 2005) and we contributed, between my wife and myself, up to the maximum without going into the surcharge tax. This generally meant about 50k pa.

The direct shares is a major portion of the investments in the super fund but not all of it. We also hold a couple of MF's.

Cheers

8. hillsguy

hillsguy Well-Known Member

Thats' Fantastic !

I guess been much younger I can't share the enthusiasm despite a healthy and growing super fund.

Wife and I are hoping to achieve the 'technically retired' stage within 7 - 10 year timeframe. ;)

9. Handyandy

Well were at the end of the week and its still just over the $1mil (by $900).:)

So all up a good week because it stayed up there.;)

Cheers

10. NickM

NickM Well-Known Member

Congratulations Andreas.
    You are a prime example of a smart investor that researches, is willing to take a calculated punt and has done over the years in both the property and share market.

Keep up the good work
    NickM

11. Takestock

Takestock Well-Known Member

Congrats Andreas! Well deserved.
    Let me know if it dips below and I'll throw in a couple of bucks to push it up again!;)

Cheers,

Steve