Dirty tradesmen

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jacque, 16th Jun, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

In an IP far from where I live, I recently had some painting done and had a new kitchen and vinyl floor installed, in between leases. I arranged it all via phone/fax/email and, luckily, had the good fortune of a relative being able to pop in from time to time to see how it was progressing.

My parents just happened to be visiting this week, so I sent them in to the vacant property with a camera to take some pics and report back to me. Unfortunately, the carpet appears ruined, with bright yellow stains/streaks on it, though it was nicely steam cleaned prior to the renovations by the vacating tenant.
    The place was also left very dusty and grotty by the tradesmen (new kitchen installer didn't even bother to wipe anything down, cupboards or benches) and now the PM is advising I get a cleaner in to have it all dandy again!That's fine- I can live with an hour or so worth of cleaning, but I am balking at paying for the carpets to be steam cleaned (again) at my expense.
    I've asked her to get onto the kitchen fellow as it appears that it's his responsibility for the mess. What would others do in this situation?

2. Bundy__

Bundy__ Active Member

Jacque,

I'd be contacting the kitchen company and telling them about your problems. I'd be asking them to send someone out to clean the carpets.

Alternatively whilst speaking to them, I'd offer to arrange for someone to go out out to clean the carpets and deduct the amount from your kitchen invoice.

Let us know how you fare.

Bundy

3. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

We recently had a kitchen done.

Dust was throughout the house. The tiler cleaned his tools on our driveway and left blobs of grout on the bench and floor. The plumber broke the legs off our stove etc etc

There were numerous other problems and I could go on at length.

In the end I had the manager come to see the end result. She was quite horrified and all the relevant tradesmen came back to clean and/or what they had done. The installers, when they returned, took great pains to show me the new drop cloths they were taping over doorways as though it was their initiative - I had recommended them to his boss the week before.

End result is that we got $2000 worth of extras they left off the quote (but fortunately listed on the contract), everything cleaned up and very personal service from the installation manager.

We are still waiting for the correct doors we ordered and a drawer front which was incorrectly drilled - 2 months after installation.

The dishwasher has broken down twice in the first 8 weeks and the serviceman reckons he can't remove it to repair it because of the way it has been installed so we now have the installers coming back today to remove it for him.

This has been an absolute nightmare. Funny thing is we went with a major chain and paid a bit more as we were hoping to avoid a dodgy experience.

it is a nice kitchen though...

Go to their manager and make sure they don't get away with anything Jacque - they will try.

Last edited by a moderator: 19th Jun, 2006
  4. Jacque

Thanks for the advice guys :)
    Trouble is the manager is the installer- a one man show with subbies now and then on a casual basis. I am trying to get the PM to sort it all out but, seeing as she's weak, looks like I will need to ring him myself. *sigh*
    If you want a job done properly.........

5. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Jacque

Agree that you should just call to get it sorted. But once you've got it fixed I think there's another call to make (or maybe a visit)...You need to tell your PM in no uncertain terms to shape up or ship out.

I reckon the best PMs are fair, but HARD AS NAILS!!!

N.

6. Jacque

End result: I rang the kitchen installer and he rectified the problem asap. He even paid the lady next door a fiver to be able to access her power as she wouldn't allow him otherwise! :eek:

So all happy in the end. The PM, however, is going to be less one rental income shortly, as I can't stand incompetence.