Discretionary Trust distributing Franking Credits

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by kadaj, 24th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kadaj

kadaj New Member

Hi All,

I am a trustee (non-corporate) for a family trust that owns some mining shares, that recently distributed a Exploration Development Incentive Credits (EDI).

After some brief research, I discovered they are almost identical to franking credits, barring the lack of dividends, and should be treated as a FC the way one would receive a refundable tax offset in their tax returns.

My question is in distributing this EDI-credits (FC) under a discretionary trust - hypothetically that the trust is in a net profit position, would I be able to distribute net income to one person but full FC to another person.

i.e. Trust Net Profit (Grossed up FC) = $1000
    EDI Credits = $100
    Distribute Person A $900
    Distribute Person B $100 FC Only

OR do I have to distribute FC proportionately based on how much net income each beneficiary receives?

i.e. Trust Net Profit (Grossed up FC) = $1000
    EDI Credits = $100
    Distribute Person A 80% $720 + $80 FC
    Distribute Person B 20% $200 + $20 FC

Thanks

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

What does the deed say?

3. kadaj

kadaj New Member

Excuse the length of this post - but this is what it says under the deed.

and..

Understanding the discretionary nature of making distrbutions, but the question still stands - whether EDI/FC can be distrbuted fully to one person and other incomes separately to other beneficiaries, or do I have to distribute the EDI's in proportion to (or depending on) how much profits is distributed to each beneficiary for the Income year.

Thanks

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Now you have to try to determine whether EDI/FC falls into one of those classes.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.