Managed Funds Distributions

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by 24724, 10th Jul, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Shouldn't take any longer than it has in the past - and in general, should not take much longer than any other fund - they all have the same regulatory requirements. Platinum paid out last week, and my margin lender has already picked up the credits to my account as of yesterday.

Platinum also were giving estimates for the amount of distribution as early as May (they only pay annually), and as late as the last week of June - so it was nice to be able to predict the cashflow - even if it was only an estimate.

Of course, I do realise that NavraInvest are a small company - and I admit I don't understand the process that is involved in calculating and paying distributions - but I'd hope there could be some improvement in the process in the future.

And please don't get me wrong - I'm not saying NavraInvest are "bad", I'm just offering some constructive criticism in the name of improving an already great fund. Indeed, part of my plan is to triple my investment in the various NavraInvest funds over the next couple of years - so I have an interest in seeing them improve their backend office performance, but of course not at the expense of their fund performance :D

Hopefully the next couple of years will see some decent income for the company and they can employ some more staff or build a better system (if that is what is required!).

2. 24724

24724 Well-Known Member

Hypothetical Question

Good evening,
    IF I knew the $ value of a quarterly distribution in a particular portfolio, how do I determine the % return and the c.p.u. return?
    Thanks
    Jayar

3. Simon Hampel

% return is $ value of distribution divided by value of holding as at distribution date ... ie: %return = value of distribtuion / (number of units held * unit price at distribution date)

CPU return is simply $ value of distribution divided by number of units held

eg. if you hold 10,000 units and the unit price at distribution date is 1.10, then assuming a distribution amount of $440, this makes it: $440 / (10,000 * 1.10) = 0.04 = 4%

CPU = $440 / 10000 = 0.044 = 4.4c per unit

4. 24724

24724 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sim , for your formulae.

Please refer to Post 1 in this thread.

Based on my figures, and Sim's formula, sounds more than 4%...................:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

But, then again, I may be wrong.

Maybe.....maybe not....

Jayar

5. gad

gad Well-Known Member

InvestoServe are showing the Aust. Retail funds redemption price as $1.1017 (Wed. 12/07/06 1pm).

6. SydneyCider

SydneyCider Member

and was about 1.15 something yesterday, so looking very promising.. should be just around the corner now...

7. gad

gad Well-Known Member

That $1.153 you saw yesterday was the redemption price for the last day of last month (end of quarter).

8. Rick__

Rick__ Well-Known Member

Cough! Cough! Nice one Sim' but given that it takes about 2 weeks to get the info out about 4 days of that time will always be weekend days. :p :D

Rick

9. Simon Hampel

Actually, in my experience it has generally only taken 10 days for the calculations to be done and paid ... I figured 12 days was reasonable with the extra weekend inserted - so I was hoping to see a result today.

10. Rick__

Rick__ Well-Known Member

OK, I see what you mean.

But, what I want to know is how JAYAR knew what the dollar value of his distribution was on 10/07/06???

11. 24724

24724 Well-Known Member

Hi, Rick,

That's how I found it.:)
    Logged on to Investorserve, checked my 'Transaction Confirmation', and read the last entry.
    Don't know why I seem to be the only one, though.
    Jayar

12. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Hi Guys

I was told today that the distributions are:-

Retail - 5.7278 cents
    W/sale - 6.4431 cents

Not official as not yet published.

Cheers

13. 24724

24724 Well-Known Member

That sounds pretty damn close.........for a while, I thought it may have been a mistake on my statement, and that's why I didnt elaborate earlier.

But that figure of Retail - 5.7278 cents is correct, according to my statement.

How's that sound, hey? :D :D :D :D

Jayar

14. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

That would be 4.97% then ?? (as in 1.1530/5.7278*100)

15. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

So does that mean the wholesale is over 5.5%?! :eek: Yoiks! :D :D :D

Steve must need a new car :p

16. gad

gad Well-Known Member

Thanks Jayar

I'd never bothered checking the transaction section on Investoserve.
    Learn something everyday :)
    Thanks again, fantastic!

17. 24724

24724 Well-Known Member

Hi, Mr Darcy,
    I agree that the percentage for Retail is 4.97%, but not sure how your formula worked.
    I used Sim's method.....$value of distributions/number of units held at quarters end/unit price at that stage*100 = 4.97

Gad, does your Transaction Confirmation show you your distribution, or am I still the odd-one-out?:eek:

Jayar

18. gad

gad Well-Known Member

Hi Jayar
    Yes it does. I reinvest my distributions.
    3-7-06 x amount of units @ $1.0974 Value = $x amount.

19. 24724

24724 Well-Known Member

Hi, Gad,
    Yep, that's exactly what I see on my statement. And I re-invest, as well.
    Cheers,
    Jayar

20. Simon Hampel

Actually Mr Darcy's method of calculating (distribution per unit divided by unit price) is easier to calculate if you have those figures rather than the actual dollar value of the distribution. Works out the same either way.

eg. if distribution is 5.7278 cents per unit and unit price at date of distribution is 1.1530, then % distribution is:

0.057278 / 1.1530 = 4.97%