Managed Funds Distributions

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by 24724, 10th Jul, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

My margin lender doesn't update account details in real time *sigh*.

2. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

Me and my vet thank you too !!

3. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Just calculated (as can't get to my official records) the total distributions for the year is 17.91c per unit (wholesale)

Is this about the right figure?

Certainly met my budget;)

Cheers

4. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Looks like the Oz Distribution has gone in but not the US yet.

What the hell.........we'll have the pizza anyway! :D

Anyone heard how many c/unit the US should be? I'm wondering whether to get garlic bread too? ;)

5. pthm

pthm Well-Known Member

Just checked the bank account this morning (Saturday) and distribution was paid yesterday. Our bank updates overnight and not live during the day. Yippee! :D :D :D

6. Smartypants

Smartypants Well-Known Member

This is my first distribution/payout as only bought into the funds recently. Very impressed.

Wasn't aware that the two funds i.e Aust & U.S were paid seperately. Does that mean I have more to come *rubbing hands together rather greedily*?

Alan, you can even have the gelato ice-cream too ;)

7. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Right Alan, still nothing for US fund that I can see - and seeing as though half of my money is in the US fund I hope we get something !!

8. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Most of my Funds are still in the Australian Retail so serious discussion is currently occurring as to whether we even include the Tiramisu for desert. :confused: :)

I'm assuming that the US Fund is paid separately, in that the Oz cents/unit figures quoted on the Forum to date equate to my actual paid Distribution. I have a smaller amount in the US Fund.

If you look at the Redemption Unit Price for Oz Retail between 30/6/06 and 3/7/06 you will see the large drop from 1.153 to 1.0975 which reflects the Distribution.

Not sure how the US works with the time/date difference?

Date: Redemption Price:
    29/6 1.0296
    30/6 1.0106
    3/7 1.0178
    5/7 1.0167

Would the drop between 29/6 and 30/6 represent a Distribution payout as opposed to our 30/6 to 3/7?

Maybe there are further delays for the US Distribution relating to currency exchange regulations or the like?

9. Smartypants

Smartypants Well-Known Member

Another quick question.

Whilst I understand that the fund distributes profit, in the example below, can someone please explain how I am better off.

Lets say my initial investment, we'll use $100K in this example, has grown to $105K just prior to distribution.

After distribution, my holdings stand at approx $94K and I've been paid a distribution of just over $5K.

Couldn't I have just taken the $5K from the original loan and pocketed it instead of investing it.

The above figures are used as an example but the situation is similar to what I am now in.

Am I missing something. Only thing I can think of is that the figures may be a result of fluctuations in the market.

Is it possible to get paid a distribution and still have the original invested amount show an increase as well?

Wasn't such a quick question, sorry

10. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

The price of your unit is directly proportional to your share of the fund's net asset value. So if you had $105k, $5k of which was earmarked for distribution, then $100k would represent the value of the other assets (a cash account and shares in various companies). Post distribution if the fund has dropped from $100k to $95k then the market must be pricing the shares differently to what they were previously. In other words it is market fluctuation.

One thing that I don't quite understand with all the people getting excited about the fund's distribution - if they're seeking a 5% or whatever distribution to offset property costs etc couldn't they just sell 5% of their units at any time they wish? Because I don't see how it matters whether the unit price grows as a result of capital growth or trading profit.

11. Simon Hampel

Why shoud you not sell ? Because selling units means that you miss out on future capital growth! Sure, you might invest the proceeds from your sale - but that's not the point, you're usually selling because you want to use that money for something (I'm ignoring selling for portfolio rebalance purposes).

Scenario 1:
    You invest $10,000 at a unit price of $1.00, you get 10,000 units
    Unit price increases to $1.15, value is now $11,500.

You sell units to take your profits, $1500 @ $1.15 = 1304.35 units sold
    You now hold 8695.65 units.

Unit price increases to $1.20, your holdings are now worth $11,304.35 ... and you have $1,500 in realised profit.

At the end of quarter, 15c per unit are distributed. You hold 8695.65 units = $1304.35 distribution. Unit price drops to $1.05. Your holdings are now 8695.65 units @ $1.05 = $9130.43.

Your total investment value is $9130.43 + $1304.35 distribution + $1500 sold units = $11934.78

Scenario 2:
    You invest $10,000 at a unit price of $1.00, you get 10,000 units

At the end of quarter, 15c per unit are distributed. You hold 10,000 units = $1500 distribution. Unit price drops to $1.05. Your holdings are now 10,000 units @ $1.05 = $10,500.

Your total investment value is $10,500 + $1500 distribution = $12,000

Result:
    You've missed out on future growth by selling early!!!

It's much better to extract a portion of your investment growth by accessing equity through a margin loan. You'll only get up to around 70% of the growth (depending on your LVR), but you sacrifice less of your future growth, and save on tax too!!

12. Simon Hampel

Note that I have split off some posts into a new thread ... Recycling Debt

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia