Join our investing community

Do you have a Paypal account ?

Discussion in 'Help & Feedback' started by Simon Hampel, 6th Nov, 2006.

?

Do you have a Paypal account ?

Poll closed 13th Nov, 2006.
  1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    76.0%
  2. No, but I'd sign up for one if I needed to

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. No, I refuse to use Paypal

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. What's Paypal ?

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Just wondering how many people have a Paypal account ?

Do you consider it to be a good payment method for online purchases ?

2. myarhidia

myarhidia Member

Yes for buying No for selling, the merchant fees are an absolute rip-off, especially since PayPal is owned by e-bay, they subsequently double-dip on your sales charging you a % on both.

3. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

I use PAYPAL but only for international sales. The benefit is that the notification of sale is immediate and I can dispatch the product fast.

However, the premium is prohibitive and for Australian sales I prefer internet banking transfers. They take 2-3 days but I am generally happy to wait.

I recently was paid $529 and lost $12 in Paypal fees but saved three days in processing. I wish I could invest money for a few days and earn that much interest.

4. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

I reckon PayPal serves a purpose. Its no more of a ripoff than the various banks online e-commerce offerings, and, unlike the banks, PayPal doesn't give people a Spanish Inquisition before they are allowed to transact online. Alright for eBay (in the right circumstances) and for small business in an early / growth phase. Their support is pretty hopeless though, from my limited experience. Direct deposit is definitely the best option for smaller operators who don't want to have their profit eroded - just don't give your account details out to anyone in Nigeria :p

5. Leandro

Leandro Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that anyone could cause you any harm by simply knowing your bank account details?

I am waiting for Google Checkout to hit Australia, not only will this force PayPal to become more competitive but because if you advertise with google you get credit towards your processing fees.

6. TryHard

Actually you might be right - I had always thought they only needed your account details - seems that's just part of the scam to indicate to the scammer they have someone keen :
    Welcome to the 419 Eater

Although I'm not convinced I'd like a scammer to know my BSB, Account number and name - just in case

Cheers
    C

PS the 'baiting' stories on this site are quite amusing :) - What's the bloody point ??

7. Leandro

Leandro Well-Known Member

While i don't like the idea either, i have asked my business bank before if there could be any problems with disclosing this information to the public and they said no. Then again, there are some very creative crooks out there :eek:

8. TryHard

I must admit I wondered how all those eBayers who give out bank account details aren't scammed more often, so it would seem to indicate your bank is right :) (and I'm glad, 'cos the amount of stuff my missus buys on eBay I would be broke a few times over if I got milked for cash by someone else as well :p )

9. Insight

Insight Brisbane Buyers Agent

I only signed up because it was the most convenient method of paying for a few overseas vendors of software (small sites).

10. ramone_johnny

ramone_johnny Well-Known Member

Im with paypal and have been so for about 9 months or so now. I use this service to accept online payments for my websites. Making about $50 a day at the moment which is fantastic. I decided to go with paypal because it was easy to setup, quick and didnt entail having to mess about showing financials to anyone - like the banks asked me to.

Setting up a merchant account with a bank is a joke - paypal on the other hand was a peice of cake.

RJ

11. Ali G

Ali G Member

I use PayPal on eBay for domestic and international sales as a seller. The main reason for this is just that eBay push it so hard, so I don't want to lose sales if people buy into eBay's propaganda about PayPal being the only safe way to pay. It is useful for international sales in particular though. It integrates well with the selling software on eBay which saves time so that is a plus. I think it is also good to give buyers the option to pay by credit card too, which is another reason why I offer it. Sellers in Australia are poorly protected by PayPal though - scams are rife - so if I was selling big-ticket items there is no way I would accept it.

If I ever get around to setting up an independent website I think I would be more inclined to set up a merchant facility, even though PayPal is now becoming a more widely accepted payment method on independent websites.

12. vandalic

vandalic Active Member

Paypal is great. Ebay is trialing virtual credit cards now as well.

13. ramone_johnny

ramone_johnny Well-Known Member

ooh sounds dangerous!

RJ

14. Bantam Roosta

Bantam Roosta Well-Known Member

For the guys that sell with Paypal, when using Ebay I will always buy off someone that offers Paypal over someone who doesn't, purely for the ease of transactions. I don't know what other people are like but you could potentially be losing sales to your competitors by not offering it.

BR