Dog properties

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Jacque, 3rd Jun, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

After inspecting a few of these recently, and seeing their long market history (often with several agents) it makes me wonder why buyers purchased them in the first place. Unfortunately, in a frenzied boom market (as Sydney experienced in 2002-04) I suppose buyers thought that anything standing would make money and, for some who went on to resell whilst the going was good, it did. However, it's pretty sad when you see these same properties listed some five years later, sometimes for less than what they paid, still languishing on the market.
    Whilst this list is pretty general and by no means exhaustive, a list of "dog" features that I would consider detrimental to a freestanding home in a suburb would include:

Close proximity to high tension power lines and stauncheons
    Close proximity to visible ugly water pipes/conduits and artificial waterways
    Close proximity to sewerage/garbage/water treatment facilities
    Close proximity to shops/industrial/commercial infrastructure
    Main road position
    No backyard or level area
    One living area in a 4bedroom house
    Unusually lowside/highside position in street
    Incorrect or off-putting floorplan (eg: living all downstairs with kitchen and bedrooms upstairs)

I'm sure others can add to the list, and I guess it comes down to personal taste in some instances, but I do believe that, as an investor, you should be aiming to cater to the biggest pool of both buyers (resale) and tenants alike. Avoid those dogs!!

2. islandgirl__

islandgirl__ Well-Known Member

With a back yard as a boggy salt marsh (seen it) - OK it may be advertised as water access however when you are up to your knees in muddy mosquito ridden bog trying to get to the water the appeal suddenly diminishes greatly.

Backing onto a mosquito swamp - the view might be nice but if you can't go outside for fear of loosing half your blood supply then it just ain't worth it.

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Jun, 2008