Domain.com.au and google earth

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by pthm, 21st Sep, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. pthm

pthm Well-Known Member

Do you know that you can now see your house or the houses for sale in domain.com.au - by streets or via satellite? Domain.com.au has released a beta version of the locations of houses for sale in different suburbs. They will charge for it later once the bugs are ironed out.

It is a bit better than the google earth I downloaded last year. It was difficult to locate the houses, but with domain.com.au it has been much easier. I have looked at our house in Sydney and investment properties in Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney - as well as where we used to rent in Adelaide.

Check it out before the beta version goes live! I think it is nifty. :)

2. TechMan

TechMan Well-Known Member

Interesting that they are going to charge for this service. I thought it would have been in their interests to offer this service for free, giving them a unique point which separates them from realestate.com.au. Plus it allows people who are tight on time to look at more properties than they might have earlier bothered too ,surely this is the whole point of their site, i.e. to ensure the most possible views of the properties that they have on display.

What do others think?

3. gregpatch

gregpatch Member

Aerial Views

Department of Lands, GIS Portal has an excellent aerial imagery service- a bit tricky to use, but better resolution, searchable by address etc.

4. pthm

pthm Well-Known Member

Thanks, Greg. I had a look at the Dept of Lands and you are right, the images were a bit sharper and clearer. But, the good thing about the domain.com.au site is that it shows street names and the locations of the houses for sale on the map.

5. D&K

D&K Well-Known Member

6. Tom&Don

Tom&Don Active Member

If Domain are going to charge for it, then it may be better using the AFR resource - much better functionality fram what I saw in the demo.

7. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Actually, I really like this latest feature of map placements on Domain. It does show at a glance whether or not the property is within a particular radius, and is especially useful if you're having a mental blank about where a certain street is located.

I use RPData for mapping (which is fantastic) with the On the Market facility showing up sales for last 36 mths as well as current listings. Now if only all the floorplans were on there, my life would be so much easier :D