Double glazing windows

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Jacque, 11th Nov, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Has anyone had this done in a property and, if so, can you provide an approximate costing? As well as noise reduction qualities, I also understand that double glazing can improve insulation.

2. D&K

D&K Well-Known Member

Hi Jacque,

We looked at double glazing when we built our PPOR, about five years ago. It doubled the cost for the windows so we opted out. We weren't looking to cut noise (in which I believe they are very effective) only for insulation. We went to a energy consultant funded by the ACT government, who provided free advice to home builders/buyers. From an insulation perspective they are limited if you have aluminium frames - the heat goes out through the frame - and need a layer of wood or some othe insulator in their construction. Otherwise better insulation in the roof / walls and having appropriate blinds and curtains were more effective.

Regards, Dave

3. gazza

gazza Well-Known Member

Hi Jacque

If you have seen my thread on law of attraction/noisy neighbours on Somersoft, you will have seen we are investigating double glazing some windows. Bear in mind this is to work with an existing window, basically they insert a second window on the inside of the existing window (with a mimimum 10mm gap - the bigger the gap , the better the noise insulation).

The quote was $581 for the kitchen window (160cm x 120cm)

and

$899 for the family room window (160cm x 200cm)

cheers
    Gazza

4. Jacque

Thanks Dave and Gazza- at least it provides a starting point for me.
    Appreciated :)

5. tropic

tropic Well-Known Member

My house have double glazed windows all around. I didn't build the house so don't know about the cost. Double glaze is not simply inserting a glass on an existing glass/window. The unit come in one piece, it has to be sealed properly otherwise you will have condensation etc. If that happen you need to replace the whole window because you can't clean the inside. A couple of my window have condensation and expensive to replace.

6. Jacque

Actually that is a really good point! I would imagine that moisture buildup would have to go somewhere, however?