Earning income overseas

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by greyst, 2nd Jun, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. greyst

greyst Member

I operate a small services business (a Pty Ltd) and the business is about to start doing a lot of work for one client in Asia (3 to 4 months per year). In the past I've just included the income from overseas clients in my Pty Ltd business tax return in Australia (no foreign tax paid).

But I'm wondering if I pay tax in the Asian country as an employee (ie. join the foreign company payroll rather than have my Pty Ltd invoice them) and then leave the income out of my Australian tax return. Any advice? Thanks.

2. Rob G

Rob G Well-Known Member

Assuming you remain an Australian resident for tax purposes ...

You still declare your foreign source income here, but you get a credit for tax already paid overseas.

Cheers,

Rob

3. greyst

greyst Member

Exempt if otherwise taxed?

Thanks for the rapid reply. I seemed to recall something about income that has already been taxed overseas as being exempt in Australia.

If not, then it sounds like there's no benefit to being taxed O/S. Is this right?

4. Rob G

Rob G Well-Known Member

There was a salary and FBT exemption for employees posted overseas for a continuous period of more than 90 days.

Kev's 2009 budget will kill that one from July unless you are a foreign aid worker or certain Government employees.

Cheers,

Rob

5. greyst

greyst Member

Thanks...

... for the update.

6. Superman__

Superman__ Well-Known Member

Interesting exception to the rule here...

Have you also noticed that they have reduced the concessional super limits for everyone...except for senior public servants (i.e. Government ministers).

7. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

How rude...

Maybe all the super funds (industry, retail, corporate, public offer) should complain to the IFSA, FPA, APRA and ASIC as it seems very hypocritical...