Ed Chans new Property Investment Trust

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by seaview, 23rd Feb, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. seaview

seaview Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I just heard that Ed Chan and associates have come up with another PIT. This one is said to offer land tax exemption and avoids compulsory wind up of trust after 80 years. It also contains wording which excludes it from adverse government changes in the future. :mad:
    Has anyone heard more details about this? It sounds just great, but we will wait to see if this one lasts longer than the last one.
    Cheers
    Seaview

2. jscott

jscott Well-Known Member

Tha last one (PIT) is stil alive and working well... I think the only thing that went wrong was that you couldn't get out of land tax in NSW due to some government changes.

3. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Seaview,

No need for all the capital letters mate. It comes across as though you're shouting. ;)

Glebe.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

(I fixed the title)

5. jeddi

jeddi Member

All I heard about it was what he said last Wednesday night on the teleseminar. Exactly what you have said in that the major improvements were the "no 80 year windup", "land tax thresholds" apply and the fact that it was "impervious to future government rulings".

I understand that it will be available from March this year and from all accounts looks to be a really good trust.

6. Julia

Julia Active Member

7. markstan

markstan Member

Property Investment Trusts

Great book by the guys but One huge concern from my point of view.

Think about it from thr ATO workers perspective. Cardigan office workers on 40k a year getting jealous seeing the authors making millions and on the Top 10 list at major bookstores....

A matter of time for a test case? The ATO can use Part IVA or test cases anytime they like....

Any thoughts?

8. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

There's an article in todays AFR in which the Tax Inspector General has again slammed the ATO for taking a win at all costs attitude, being non-responsive and evasive about whether or not they've changed their tune on service trusts (a different issue admittedly). :eek:

So...who knows?! ;)