Education in Charting

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Alwayslooking, 3rd Sep, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alwayslooking

Alwayslooking Well-Known Member

Hi All
    Have been looking at doing a course in charting most are very expensive and everyone is flogging something different makes it confusing.

I was told to look at a charting subject offered by Kaplan Education, this would be at a cost of around $1,000.

Has anyone gone down this road and can make any recommendations.

Thanks for help.

Cheers, AL

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Why not just buy a couple of books first? Much cheaper way to get started.

3. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Alwayslooking.

Yeh.....You may consider ‘Chart Trading – An Approach for Investors and Traders’ – written by Daryl Guppy (approx. $35) ;)

4. Alwayslooking

Hi All
    thanks for replies.

I have been reading up on charting but am finding it quite complicated. I am also hoping that by doing the course I will have an opportunity to get feedback and support.

I am sure that many find it easy to analyse a chart, but unfortunately I am finding quite the opposite.

Cheers, AL

5. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi AlwaysLooking,

It sounds like you are looking at the Graduate Diploma in Applied Finance subject Technical Analysis (FIN231). I did the Securities Institute Education equivalent a few years ago (late 2001), I did it by lectures in the city. I thought it was a good subject. There used to be an Advanced Technical Analysis but it may have not been that popular as it doesn't look like Kaplan offer it.

Most of the students for that subject were doing it for personal interest as opposed to doing it for work (Ie, you could tell by age of the students being an average of 50 something).

Keep in mind that this is a Graduate Diploma subject, if you do 12 of the subjects you can get a Masters in Applied Finance! It's not meant to be easy or cheap!

Like Tropo said buy some books or borrow (local library) is a much cheaper option. Look out for the Guppy books as they are a very good!

Cheers,

Dan

6. Alwayslooking

Hiya Dan

Thanks for comments, seems I should probably start off with a recommended book.

Just phoned the library they have the book Tropo suggested so will give it a shot.

I also got on the site - incredible charts.

Every little bit helps.

Cheers all, AL

7. DaveJ__

DaveJ__ Well-Known Member

8. Alwayslooking

Thanks Dave, second book on my list.

For those who have been charting for years I would be interested to know how this is working for you in current climate. I suppose there will always be opportunites.

Cheers, AL

9. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"For those who have been charting for years I would be interested to know how this is working for you in current climate. I suppose there will always be opportunites".

Current market condition has no influence at all.
    Chart is the most important analytical tool and helps to define and manage a risk.

PS- Another book you may consider is “Technical Analysis from A to Z” by Steven B. Achelis.
    It provides reference for over 100 technical indicators and basic introduction to TA.

10. Alwayslooking

Thanks Tropo. Will need to take baby steps with this and will be posting some charts along the way to see whether I am on the right track.

Appreciate all the help.

Cheers, AL

11. DotnetKris

DotnetKris Member

Check for articles and books by Louise Bedford. She has written a book on charting and also writes for Your Trading Edge magazine.

Regards,
    Kris

12. Alwayslooking

Charting in a Nutshell

Hi Kris
    Will also look at this, thanks.

I am currently reading "Charting in a Nutshell" Alan Hull. This book covers quite alot incuding charting software.

I also was watching "Your money your call", Gary Stone, Sharefinder, he seemed quite interesting, think he has developed his own software for charting.

I think it is a good time to educate myself.

Cheers, Olivia

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF