Join our investing community

Education saving funds vs ETFs

Discussion in 'Exchange Traded Funds (ETF)' started by Samnet, 20th Dec, 2019.

1. Samnet

Samnet New Member

Hi
    I will be dady soon and intend to save money for my daughter that she can use at the age of 18 ( might be education, running business, trip, marriage,...).So I have 18 years to save money.
    I was wondering what are the benefits of education saving plan over than ETFs? Which one is more tax effective? Which one has better outcome?
    If i invest in an ETF which has dividen reinvestment plan, at the end of 18 years, I only need to pay capital gain tax (with 50% discount on CGT) and management cost is less than education saving funds
    Can you please compare these two for me?

Thanks
    Sam

twisted strategies likes this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

welcome to InvestChat ,

and congratulations on your ( expected ) daughter

i have no idea about education savings plans ( and their tax implications )

would some ETFs inside a trust for her be better , if the ETFs have franking credits ( and some do ) that might easily offset tax burdens .

ETFs also add some flexibility on investment directions A LOT can change in 10 years ( so you could add different ETFs when wise )

also don't ignore LICs the extra fees are sometimes worth it with the good managers running them ( again inside a trust structure you can add/mix and match when wise )

cheers and best wishes

Samnet and RS Gumby like this.
  3. Samnet

Samnet New Member

Thanks for your quick reply and kindness
    I have no idea of trust and don't have enough knowledge about it. I prefer something strait forward and less complicated.
    1-If I invest in ETF for her and go for dividend reinvestment, is it a good idea?
    2- As long as I don't sell the ETF, I don't need to pay tax for it. Correct?
    3- when I sell the ETF, let's say in 15 years from now, I should pay CGT which has 50% discount. Correct?

Thanks
    Sam

4. twisted strategies

ETFs ( and LICs ) ... yes you need to pay tax on the dividends ( that is where franking credits are useful ) so you still have to declare the income ( but then you get to claim the franking credits )

franking credits are pre-paid tax paid by the fund muagers ( when they do )

check what your daughter is allowed to earn as a child ( it is really low and the rates rather high ) tax wise

next off , you might be able to 'gift ' some assets to your daughter , but you probably need financial advice to get the set-up correct ( so effectively you or your daughter's mother are in control of the funds and other pesky paperwork )

ALSO would you ( or your daughter ) sell if the investments go well she might be earning a useful supplement to her income so she might cancel all ( or some ) of the DRP as receive the divs in cash

i can tell you in my 9 years of investing BIG changes can happen ( even as an adult ) , so am i big fan of having flexibility in decisions

i am a big fan of DRPs ( dividend reinvestment plans ) ( but i do not parcipate 100% in every plan offered )

ALSO some DRP plans are suspended ( turned off ) from time to time ( various unsual events cause this )

and yes it sounds so damn hard but someone has to keep all those damn public servants employed ( and out of the way of the real workers )

so don't be amazed to discover our economy is broken ( it is entangled in red and green tape )

Samnet likes this.
  5. Samnet

Samnet New Member

Thanks again
    My plan is to invest for her in the name of my wife which has less annual income than me, hence less tax
    I hope it works for my daughter

6. twisted strategies

might be a good idea to get your wife , physically ( mentally ) involved as well

the two minds ( and alternate decision-maker ) theory

i suggest you can't be financially savvy enough

giving advice ( even non-professionally ) is a minefield in the current scenario

but PLEASE learn how to research your investment targets carefully ( and learn how those tiny details affect your plan )

each ETF and LIC ( regardless of provider ) is their own individual beast ( they might LOOK the same , but can behave very differently )

but heck you are learning about all this BEFORE your daughter is born that is a very nice way to start

cheers

here is a basic website that might help

ETF & LIC GUIDE - ETF Watch

Samnet likes this.