Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. liu2577

liu2577 New Member

Hi there, I wonder if any of you know about a reputable sharemarket course I could take on to improve my knowledge. TAFE has next month here in Perth a 2 hr course for Beginners @ $123. Cheers!:)

2. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

3. Dr Lobster

Dr Lobster Well-Known Member

If you are talking about share trading IMHO I wouldn't buy one book that deals purely with the mechanics of trading. I suggest you read a book that extensively deals with trading psychology ( like Van Tharp's book) and honestly answer the questions that such investigation throws up.

Personally I don't believe trading is for everyone, and this opinion has nothing to do with whether people can identify a double top or the a b c correction waves in an elliot wave pattern etc etc.

Further, paper trading won't help you either. I have seen the situations described in trading books at work in my own trading ie being tempted to ignore a stop loss, cutting profits short of targets. And when I read about such things I thought "nah, Im too cool for that".

I did find it fascinating, and I broke even and bailed when I realised that its not what I want to do, only what I thought I wanted to do.

4. liu2577

liu2577 New Member

5. liu2577

liu2577 New Member

Hi Dr Lobster! I have read some books but the one you mentioned isn't one of them, I will have to look out for it. I have heard about "stop loss & taking profits" and yes, it's very tempting to stay and hope for higher profits or if the share price went down hope it will come back up. And also the issue with tax for assets held under 12 months.

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated!