Ermington property

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by TechMan, 1st Aug, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TechMan

TechMan Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Pulling a quote from a few months back.

Does anyone else have any opinions on ermington property, or has lived nearby. Trying to get some local knowledge about the area, in regards to better pockets or streets. And any issues which might make the area undesirable.

I recently got married, and my wife and I are now looking to purchase our first home. Ermington seems to have a few properties in the sub 500K range which interest us.

i.e. - full brick free standing home,
    - larger block
    - not on a main road
    - in livable condition today

The suburb also seems to have experienced good capital growth in the past (except for the last 3 years), is close to bus/rail (west ryde) transport, and has some schools nearby.

would love to hear people's thoughts

2. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hi Leandro

I grew up in nearby Carlingford and you already know some of my thoughts about Ermington. Along with Dundas Valley, the suburb had a lot of housing commission homes (which it still does- look around streets like Spurway St) which always tends to put a certain "less than prestige" tag on an area.

It is, however, as you've discovered, well located and not far from major centres such as Parramatta and the newly popular Homebush Bay. A lot of the housing is still fibro cottages, but a whole stack of townhomes now dominate streets where these homes once stood. Stay away from the industrial side (south side) if you can avoid it.

$500,000 will also get you a decent home in many other suburbs of Sydney- What are your main requirements?
    How important is public transport for both of you?