ETF -Advice needed

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by R S Gumby, 24th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. R S Gumby

R S Gumby Well-Known Member

Hi Guys
    I'm a newbie to Invest Chat but I've been on Property Chat for a while now.

I have around 15k in Shares that I'm thinking of selling and investing in ETFs.
    I already have a small exposure with VHY and I'm happy to continue with Vanguard.
    I have a reasonable amount in super which is 60% International Shares and 40% Oz shares.
    Therefore, I reckon I have enough invested in shares.

The 15k - I'm happy to go a high risk.
    Are there any ETFs in Vanguard which have a DRP?
    Instead of dividend I'd like to invest back into the ETF.

What is the best way to cut down on brokerage?
    At the moment I have an account with a firm that charges $66 a transaction and since the 15k is made up of 10 stocks this is going to cost me.

I was looking at transferring over to Bell Direct or CMC for the lower costs

Any thoughts greatly appreciated

Cheers

2 people like this.
  2. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Cheap online broker.

Yes. Check the fact sheets, I believe all Vanguard ones do from what I've seen.

Sounds like you are planning to add more with ETFs - or are you looking at property/infrastructure/bond ETFs?

4 people like this.
  3. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

welcome to InvestChat , RS Gumby

regarding your avatar , while amusing it is common for those exploring ETFs , and those tiny details considered carefully , can make the pain worth the effort .

both VHY and VAS have a DRP ( i hold both and participate in the DRP )

i have not seriously researched the other Vanguard products

i have on-line accounts with Bell Direct and Commsec

( i hold BFG shares .. BFG being the parent group of Bell Direct )

each platform has it's strengths and flaws neither ( imo) is perfect , but at my level ( no ongoing fees only brokerage and other fees if things stuff up ) i can't expect perfection .

** sell the shares and swap to ETFs ***

gee i am not so sure about that ETFs try to track part of the market ( possibly including to shares you are trying to sell )

are those shares so bad ( and YES some of them are , but not all of them )

please note Commsec ( after the 'new client deal ' ) charges $10 brokerage for trades up to $1000 ( except those pesky transfers but that is an ASX charge ... $55 per share-holding last time i needed to do that but check , it may have charged )

Off market transfer $55 per stock ( from the Bell Direct web-site )

PLEASE NOTE this applies to ASX listed shares , if your are talking internationally listed shares the game changes big time ( so the previous is null and void )

careful on that risk , some blue chips ( top 200 listed stocks ) have proven to be extremely risky and some 'growth stocks ' near on suicidal , so you can only guess on some of the 'penny dreadfuls '

4. R S Gumby

Thanks Hodor
    Probably will steer clear of property ETFs as I have a couple of investment properties
    Any that you think are worth looking at?

5. R S Gumby

Thanks for your input Twisted Strategies - was hoping you'd post.
    Reckon i'll go with Bell Direct
    I've got blue chip in BHP,NAB,CSR,Telstra - they are sluggish will probably sell for exposure to ETFs with US or International equities.
    Any you would look at?

Cheers

2 people like this.
  6. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I avoid smart Beta ETFs in general (like VHY etc) having said that I did purchase some VHY before I had a better think about what it is doing and what are the costs and problems associated. VHY is one of the better one's (IMO) which means I continue to hold and not add. If I purchased a dividend harvesting ETF I would dump it. Long term (20+ years) under-performance vs indexing is almost guaranteed.

If I am thinking ETFs I am after long term hold-able, simple, domiciled in Australia and lowest cost - indexing fits this mandate. Index ETFs are about as good as it gets for a cheap core portfolio, whether you need more than this is debatable. Accepting the average return (which ironically puts you above average) is a hard pill to swallow.

This probably means you have different goals and my thoughts above are likely redundant. "Happy to go high risk" is very open to interpretation.
    If I wanted to go high risk in the hope of multi-bagging in a short time-frame ETFs wouldn't be what I looked at.

2 people like this.
  7. R S Gumby

Probably got a bit excited by saying high risk
    Your post above that makes more sense to me
    I have a small holding in VHY and I'm happy with it that's why I'm going down the ETF route

Cheers

2 people like this.
  8. R S Gumby

How long before Sash comes over?

2 people like this.
  9. twisted strategies

i took on the 'smart Beta ' ETFs because i NEEDED quick growth

i hold SYI , IHD , VHY and HVST ( all are DRPed )

not officially smart Beta ( in theory index plays ) are VAS , MVB , and QFN ( VAS and QRN are DRPed as well )

PLEASE NOTE i use ETFs as an insurance device ( against my bad stock-picking decisions )

collectively they are around 10% of my total holdings ( including BEAR , BBOZ and BBOZ which are bets the market might fall heavily )

timing of buying is key for me , ( i may easily buy something different again if the opportunity looks right )

although i don't make a big deal of it ( on InvestChat ) i am more heavily exposed to LICs and REITs than ETFs and hold a couple of legacy interest-bearing securities as well .

( if i liquidated my total assets .. my physical properties would probably double or triple the equities holdings , depending on how lucky i am on the selling prices )

'multi-baggers' are normally stocks but WAX ( a LIC ) MGR ( a REIT ) have also 'multi-bagged in about 5 years .

most of my 'multi-baggers ' have been a complete surprise ( so i almost forgot to rescue the investment cash when they spiked )

so i consider myself very lucky in the share market .. i bought BTT ( @ $2.30 ) MQG ( @ $26.76 ) and TPM ( @ at $1.40 )

i HOPED MQG would have gained 50% about now ( say around $40.20 ) i never thought it would double that 'dream price since 2011 .

BHP in about 3 years should start to get a move on say above $50 ( but no guarantees, they might have changed management by then ).

NAB i don't have a high opinion of , but other members might have better things to say about it
    ( i do not hold NAB or CBA directly .. but via LICs and ETFs )

TLS i bought TLS in the recent dips ( i went for TPM and the NZ telcos in preference )

TLS has some chance of being fair risk v. reward , it has some serious work to do ( reduce debt and restructure it's business ) history is against it but as a high risk speccie , TLS might not be so bad a play .

CSR i inherited , the family bought in when this still refined sugar ( and ONLY refined sugar )

could CSR do another demerger ( as it did with Rinker which was a huge windfall for share-holders )

i added extra CSR in 2012 ( @ $1.70 and again @ $1.25) this has been stealth multi-bagger for me ... always seems to look 'unexciting ' but i am glad i have stayed loyal .

international ETFs ... i bought and sold ( at a modest profit ) IEM , i can never seem to get the outcome i want with international ETFs ( maybe if i can buy some in the next global melt-down )

2 people like this.
  10. twisted strategies

IF there is a market meltdown ( Australian or Global )

high on the priority list is VLC , ILC , SFY and MVW ( obviously prices available at the time will help me decide which i will buy and when )

NEXT i will look at the international offerings stuff like MNRS and the more popular ones

2 people like this.
  11. R S Gumby

Thanks Twisted - plenty of food for thought
    I'm bullish about International ETFs, like a couple of the Vanguards.
    Changing over to Bell Direct this morning

Cheers

2 people like this.
  12. Tony66

Tony66 Well-Known Member

Hi I am new here and wonder whether one has to pay US taxes if you buy US company shares through ETF?

2 people like this.
  13. twisted strategies

tony66,

please don't take this as gospel but ETFs domiciled in the US ( like BBUS ) demand a FACTA declaration .

i think i posted a ( possibly ) helpful article here but can relocate it on the web ( so far )

sorry i will keep looking though

cheers

14. twisted strategies

BlackRock restructures US-domiciled ETFs

BlackRock restructures US-domiciled ETFs

the info here might help on US tax obligations

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.