Family Trust: Shares & CGT

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Strawbs, 29th Aug, 2012.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Strawbs

Strawbs Member

Hi,

We operate my small'ish ICT Contracting business under a Family Trust structure; I am fortunate to get a variety of work and therefore meet the 80/20 rules. I am now looking at purchasing some shares within the Trust structure and wanted to confirm the treatment of CGT.

Are the Shares (as Assets) held on the books as "Shares AT Cost" in the Non-Current Asset section with CGT calculated when they are sold (not for many years I hope) or do these need to be put at "Market Price" at the end of each financial year meaning CGT is paid on an annual basis?

Thanks.

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I am not sure of the accounting treatment but would suggest you not hold shares in the trust you operate your business from, for asset protection reasons.

3. jrc77

jrc77 Well-Known Member

I'm in similar position - run IT consulting business through a discretionary trust. I have a separate trust for holding shares.

One main reason for this is asset protection. If something happens in my business I want to keep my investments isolated from it.

Regards,

Jason

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia