Join our investing community

Fee for service by email?

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by KR, 7th Oct, 2009.

1. KR

KR Member

As someone who has just started thinking about what I should be doing financially and realizing that I need some sort of advice - is it ok to get advice by email rather than going to see someone?
    Any recommendations?

If it was just for general advice, at least at first - sort of "you really shouldn't be doing that, look into this:" can anyone give me any ideas as to what I should expect to pay?

Many thanks

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

While we can't give advice on the forum - you can certainly use us to bounce ideas off or to learn from ... for free!

If you need more specific advice, obviously you need an advisor. You don't really need to see them face-to-face (although it might be easier for at least the first meeting), you can get your advice via phone and email just as well.

It does pay to be clear as to what you are seeking though.

Are you after advice about how to manage your finances - tax planning, etc? An accountant might be more appropriate perhaps.

If you are looking for someone to come up with a plan for investing to reaching specific goals (eg. retirement, saving for a rainy day, etc), then a financial planner might be better.

3. KR

KR Member

Thanks for that Sim - I think I need a planner to take an overall view at first and I might look for one that is held in high regard by people such as those in this Forum.

But what I'll do now is to try to educate myself better (for example by reading here more extensively) and then I'll be better able to ask questions and give the needed background information that is needed - bouncing ideas of helpful people here sounds like a good idea

Cheers, thanks again