Managed Funds Feed of managed fund daily unit prices

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Simon Hampel, 9th Oct, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Just wondering if anyone knows of a free (or cheap) source of daily data for managed fund unit prices (and perferably distribution data too) ?

I'm currently "scraping" the data from various fund manager websites, which is not an ideal solution ... I'd like something a little more reliable (and a little less work - I don't want to have to program something for every fund manager I want to cover!).

I'd also like day-closing index data for a variety of Australian and international indexes too if that's out there.

2. FrankGrimes

FrankGrimes Well-Known Member

I just use excel and it works great. Add the tool bar "External Data" if you didn't install the complete copy of excel you will need the Office CD.

Then just go to data > import external data > web based query. Then just browse to the site of your managed funds and bring the table in.

I then just use excel to do the calculations of values on any given day. I just have a cover sheet that shows a summary and let the web query run every few hours to keep it updated.

Hope this is clear enough.

Grimey

3. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

tradingroom.com.au

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Sorry, perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough.

I want a programatically available (ie automated) and highly reliable source of downloadable data (eg CSV or similar format).

5. coopranos

coopranos Well-Known Member

Sim
    Just wondering if you found one of these data feeds by any chance?
    Would be good not only for tracking your existing portfolio, but you could also apply a simplified trend trading approach to managed funds by using the data feed with some charting software.
    Say for example if one of your invested funds is dropping for a set period or below a certain unit price, you could bail out of that one and jump into one that is trending upwards.
    With a bit of work and research, you may be able to eliminate the down times that drop your average return. Even if you can pull an extra 2% on your average after costs through such a system, that would make a huge difference over the years.

6. iiinvestor

iiinvestor Well-Known Member

I don't know if you're affiliated with NavraInvest somehow, but if so they may have Bloomberg. You can write Excel queries to pull stock data straight from a Bloomberg terminal. If you do, Bloomberg have training courses most days at lunch in the city and some are about the API.

Otherwise, the big issue is you want it to be free/cheap. What's your definition of cheap? Is $50/month ok? You may be able to get access to fund data from a web service for that kind of money. Definitely stock data and probably fund data.

7. DaveA__

DaveA__ Well-Known Member

i know the excel approach can work fairly good if you run it via free websites, how would you run it though if you wanted to access share portfolios, would you run it through your broker website (i use westpac) or just via the main asx website, in saying this i would want to have closing prices in a list, does anyone know a non private website that would have this...

i just want everything in one place and i know i can use portfolio tools but you just cant get managed fund prices up to date.

Currently on my margin loan, my prices are about 2 weeks behind todays price... gives me time if i know a a margin call is coming

thanks for putting me on the excel stuff frankgrimes.. i may pm you if i cant get this vlookup working....

cheers

8. 2645

2645 Active Member

Hey Frank - any chance of posting a sample Excel file which gets a couple of fund prices from any fund websites just to show hwo this works?

This sounds awesome. I currently get quite a lot of funds manually every day and type the prices into excel! Would save me a good 10 minutes/day!

9. 2645

2645 Active Member

I see you have also expanded the horizons from somersoft! hehe....

10. pudsa

pudsa Active Member

Hi DaveA whats the problem with the VLOOKUP?
    Cheers
    Pudsa

11. DaveA__

no its ok ive solved the vlookup issue i was having...im going to spend a bit of time on the sheet 2morrow and if anyone is interested i can send them a copy once it is complete.

but does anyone know how to do a automatic 'paste special' so it pastes a value from a formula. I want to keep a track of the daily prices and ubs only provide with the current and previous day prices (same with share prices). I was hoping i could set up something to an if function that when the dates of 2 cells are equal, it pastes the value into a 3rd cell, i know i can do it via a formula, however when one date changes the values then just get deleted becuase it was a formula

if i can solve this i will be a very happy man so any suggestions would be great...

12. DaveA__

ok, ive got someone to write a code for me, that when on websites that only shows one day price it will save those into another sheet with the matching date...

next step is to find the best website to pull share prices off, i only want to get the closing share price from the previous day (not the real time (delayed) price so im off to do some searching...

13. DaveA__

ok guys after a bit of time ive come up with this...

this is mine includes 2 loans (so different interest rates).... it has 4 funds and 1 share... its fairly easy to do but you just need alot of time and a good idea of how formulas work

if anyone can think of anything how to make it simplier then more than welcome to here some feedback

Download from Here

14. masterjunko

masterjunko Member

Dave,

This is indeed great stuff.
    It's amazing!

If it can work with any funds/shares then it would be the ultimate tracking tool. :cool:

15. DaveA__

it can work with any fund however its a bit difficult to find the page you can download off... some are easy, but in particular the ing funds (which my girlfriend has, and i did the same thing) are very difficult until you find the correct page to put ur data from... basically the best test is, if you can book mark the page, its a very easy task, if you bookmark a page and it when selected sends you to a different page you then need to look for another page to select your data from... theres sort of no way to manipulate this way... this is the only difficult part about the spreadsheet, everything else is fairly straight forward but just time consuming...

its a very good tracking tool, however in down times like today its not wise to know... my LVR on the spreadsheet is about 1% higher than my margin loan page due to delay of information on their behalf... getting 2 close to a margin call for my liking...

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia