FHOG for partner?

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by namitrs, 7th Nov, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. namitrs

namitrs Member

Hello All

Here is my situation - I am single right now, and planning to purchase a house and get FHOG on it. PLanning to get married in a year or 2 :)
    SO when I get married, can my partner get the FHOG on the house we buy then. IN that scenario,will we get the grant if the 2nd house if only the house in her name? What will happen if we buy it on a Joint account...

Thanks in advance for your help
    Namit

2. DaveA__

DaveA__ Well-Known Member

problem is the defacto part...

the best way to do it would both buy now, have seperate address while you move in, place an argument you are not financially dependant on each other, and then after 8 months your more than welcome to move in with the other and rent one out. As soon as you become defacto you will loose your 6 year rule as you can only have one place per defacto couple.

For the ~20k in benefits it might be worthwhile to try pull off but you probably couldnt live with each other during the qualifying period (ie the first 6 months)

3. namitrs

namitrs Member

Thanks for the descriptive info Dave. But, would there be any way to get FHOG if we buy the 2nd house after we get married, since Deposit for 2 houses is out of question right now...

Also " As soon as you become defacto you will loose your 6 year rule as you can only have one place per defacto couple" - What is really this rule, have read this at few places, but dont know in detail. Could anyone please explain or gimme a link, where i can get further info...

Thanks a lot
    Namit

4. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

If your spouse has already had the grant or even owned a home then you cannot have the FHOG. This is for both marriage and defacto partners.

So the short answer is no.