Financial Advisor vs D.I.Y.

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by dagman3782, 10th Nov, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dagman3782

dagman3782 New Member

Hi,

I have been using a financial advisor for about 18 months. He has invested, on my behalf, in a variety of direct shares and in managed funds. The portfolio has stayed the same for the last 8-10 months and I pay him 1.1% each month. I want to take over the portfolio myself but I don't know how to get control from the financial advisor. Can someone tell me the process please?

Thank you.

2. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

if he has managed to keep the value the same, he has done really well! most people here are down 30-40% over the last 10-12 months.

3. dagman3782

dagman3782 New Member

I am sorry. I mean't to say that the particular shares are the same although the value of them has dropped about 30%.

4. RobertHolmes

RobertHolmes Member

13.2% Mer

Did you really mean 1.1% per month? The PDS & FSG s/he was obliged to provide should have details of how to escape her/his usery. I suggest you should have read them closely 18 months ago.

crc_error: He has done really well..for himself IMHO

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Nov, 2008
  5. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

if its 1.1% per month, GET OUT NOW!!!

I would say its more likely 1.1% PA.

your saying the shares are the same, I dont think there is a need to be trading the shares. each time you sell, you trigger capital gains and brokerage costs. Unless you want a xmas card from your broker, keep the shares long term unless fundamentals change and you believe its best to sell.