Join our investing community

Financial Planning v Management Consulting [..Global opportunities?]

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by cardiff, 12th Apr, 2010.

1. cardiff

cardiff New Member

12th Apr, 2010
    I am a recent graduate of Commerce (accounting) with accounting and customer service experience, looking for full time employment.

I initially applied to big four firms in Advisory and also to management consulting firms, as I am good at working with people. Big four firms appeal to me because I am desperate to find a job that allows me to travel or potentially transfer overseas at some stage. I was unable to secure a role.

I am now looking closely into pursuing a DFP hoping to get a role as a paraplanner and progress to a financial advisor. I feel that there are many more opportunities in this field. I also feel there is a great similarity between the function of a financial planner to the function of an advisory or management consulting firm.

What I want to know is:

Are there global opportunities for a young successful financial planner?

If not; Could working in financial planning lead me back into a management consulting or advisory role at a big four firm?

Thanks, Any advice is much appreciated, especially from those who have had these experiences.
  2. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

8th Sep, 2007
    Sydney, NSW
    Wow, four employers is limiting your potential employment opportunities significantly. Have you thought about going to the mid-tier consulting firms?

Yes there are significantly more opportunties and firms to work for. There are some similarities and some differences between the function of planners to management consulting firm.

Again, yes and no, yes overseas clients need advice, no you have to pass each individual companies compliance laws to be able to give advice

Probably management consulting or advisory, though not necessarily at a big four firm.

No problems.