Financial Tracking Software?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by shouldisell, 13th Jun, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. shouldisell

shouldisell Well-Known Member

Hi guys.

I'm currently self employed, and have a few streams of income (personal training, instructing etc...)
    Anyway, at the moment I just use a diary to track all my income. I write down the money I earn from personal training, aswell as the money I earn from teaching fitness classes. I also subtract from my income (when I invoice my contractor) any deductions for gym rental, which varies depending on how many privates (personal training sessions) I take.

I also keep a copy of all invoices I send out.

This system works alright, and I have pretty good record of my earnings. However it would be nice if I could track all this information on the computer aswell. It would be much easier come tax time and I would be able to look back and see how my income is progressing, where the majority of my income is coming from etc...

I don't mind paying for the software, but I'm not after anything too complicated. I'm pretty useless when it comes to excell, but I have a brother who could probably help me out.

What do you guys use?
    What might you suggest I do?

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I use Quickbooks to track my business operations - but I do think it is overly complicated for the small business owner or self-employed operator.

I haven't tried any of their "small business" products like "Quicken Home and Business" or "Quickbooks EasyStart" - so I can't comment how how easy they are and whether there is important functionality missing.

Perhaps check out QuickBooks - The world's best selling accounting software and see if they have any free trials of their small business products.