Finding a good accountant (in Melbourne)

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by shouldisell, 1st Aug, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. shouldisell

shouldisell Well-Known Member

Hey guys.

I think I'm on the verge of possibly landing myself in a bit of trouble, if I don't take action soon.
    I'm self employed and haven't paid any taxes, ever (I have an ABN). I've only been eligible to pay taxes on the last financial year, but if I keep putting things off I imagine I could end up in alot of strife.

I'm a personal trainer and martial arts instructor. I receive a portion of my pay in cash (for privates) and the rest deposited into my bank account (for classes). I have a few investments (managed funds) which haven't returned any profits as of yet.
    I've also just started working a 'real' job. It's only 2 days a week, but I assume that this pay will be taxed etc... like any normal job.

So I assume my tax will be a little harder to organise than most people and will probably involve quarterly BAS statements from what I've been told.

Anyway. I want to do everything by the book so I don't land myself in trouble. So I need to find a good accountant located in Melbourne (I live in the southern suburbs). Problem is I don't know where to start :confused:
    I'm sure I could walk into any tax office and get things done reasonably... but I would really like someone who is proficient with small business and investing.

Any tips? Recommendations? Advice?
    Am I going to be in any trouble?

2. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hi Compleks

It doesn't sound too bad- I've heard worse cases with one friend not submitting any tax returns for 6 years and he's still on the streets :D

Have you tried James Gatherum-Goss at Ringwood? He's the son of the very well respected former accountant, Dale GG, who's served many of us here extraordinarily well over the years (myself included) so I'm thinking that James may be the man for you. Check out his site at Home and give him a call- he's also a very friendly and all round nice guy. Best of luck :)