Join our investing community

First Fund - starting with $1000

Discussion in 'Managed Funds & Index Funds' started by nicc73, 21st Jan, 2008.

1. nicc73

nicc73 New Member

Hi everyone,
    I introduced myself a few weeks ago and have been busily reading and learning since then. My husband and I have decided to buy IP but I also want to 'dip my toes in the water' so to speak with a managed fund.

Would like to start with $1k to $2k with a monthly contribution of $100-$200 - small potatoes I know but staying at home with bub and this is what the government gives me so thought that was somewhere to start anyway.

Would anyone care to suggest some funds for me to look at - I am in for the long term, looking for growth and fairly risk tolerant. Have started looking at them but there are sooo many......any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

2. samaka

samaka Well-Known Member

3. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

Colonial First State geared share fund has the growth and risk profile you're after. You can set up a regular contribution from $100 a month (with $1000 initial deposit). They have had great performance the last few years. Quite a dip in the last 2 weeks like the rest of the market. I've got $160 going in a month..

4. samaka

samaka Well-Known Member

I'd hold off on entering an geared fund until the current down trend levels off though.

5. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

why? she is starting with a small amount contributing regularly.. so holding off would not achieve anything.. if anything regular contribution now at low points would be the way to go.