First home buyers want their McMansions

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Simon Hampel, 12th Mar, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

West Australian first home buyers want a house not a flat

2. Chris C

Chris C Well-Known Member

I will never understand why in Australia there are so many 3, 4, 5 bedroom homes whilst the avearge Australian household has 2.5 people in it and is trending downwards... I'm hoping that this recession restores the notion of family's sharing common resources like housing and living harmoneously together for each other's financial betterment.

3. nitro-nige

nitro-nige Active Member

We were talking about this at work the other day and someone told a story of a relative who made an inquiry with a builder about building a more modest size house.
    The response from the builder was "I don't build houses that small".
    I guess the greed of the building trade means they are only interested in building big high profit jobs.
    Maybe a downturn in the building industry will change a few peoples outlook.

4. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Naturally not everyone wants to live in a unit or townhouse, but if that's all that can be afforded, then options are naturally limited. Of course most FHB's are going to prefer a freestanding dwelling over a unit if the price difference is affordable for them.

Chris, we may well be a nation of small families and increasing singleton households but where do ppl store all their "stuff"? :D;) We're also a nation of terrible hoarders! I've seen many a spare bedroom in a house simply used for storage- never minds the kids :D

5. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Many people these days have a room for all their gym equipment and possibly have a separate home theater room

6. Chris C

Chris C Well-Known Member

See the idea of a FHO wanting a house over a townhouse or unit seems weird to me. I don't want anything more than I NEED when it comes to accomodation, and anything more than what is NEEDED ultimately means more time/enegery/effort/work is required to maintain the place. Like I understand having a nice big back yard and pool if you have kids that will utilise them, but I personally would only take advanatge of such things once in a blue moon, but garden and pools are not cheap to maintain. Therefore it makes sense for me to not want those things, but to also to want to avoid these things.

I don't get this either. So many people spend so much time collecting things to hang onto distant memories rather than getting busy working on creating new ones...

Last edited by a moderator: 16th Mar, 2009
  7. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Well you're not like everyone else Chris obviously :)
    I was referring to the majority only!