First Home Saver Question

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by BuffettTheDog, 24th May, 2011.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BuffettTheDog

BuffettTheDog Active Member

Hi, I am still in uni and am a bit clueless about how our tax system works. Please bear with me if this is a stupid question :)

I am reading the ME Bank description of its First Home Saver product: "Investment earnings (or interest) will be taxed at 15%". I don't understand if this supposed to be good or mediocre. (Or whether it being good or mediocre is dependent on what tax bracket I am in.)

What rate of tax is applied to the interest earned from my normal online savings account? (I earn less than $6,000 a year, so I was under the impression that my tax would be nil. Hence, why is 15% tax an incentive?)

2. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

Hi,

I imagine you would be able to get a tax return at the end of the financial year. Having a 15% cap on this savings account is marketing it towards higher tax threshold investors.

J.

3. BuffettTheDog

BuffettTheDog Active Member

Ah, I see. Thanks for the reply.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.