Join our investing community

First post and a question!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mark88, 9th Feb, 2010.

1. Mark88

Mark88 Active Member

Hello,
    I have been reading this site for quite a while and I finally decided to join! I am a 21 year old in my final year of uni and I have 20K in a 'high' interest bank account.
    I want to take the first step and start investing - I am thinking of putting either 5 or 10K in bluechip shares via commsec (buying share packs) and putting the rest in either a term deposit or balanced CFS managed fund.
    Does anyone know much about commsec share packs? I am a total newbie so I am pretty nervous ..I want to invest so I can buy an investment property in 2-3 years time.
    Any criticisms/suggestions would be appreciated
    Mark

2. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

Hi Mark

For a short term of two to three years I would pick the following:

1 an internet bank account
    2 a cash management account
    3 a term deposit
    4 a fixed interest/bond fund
    5 RBA bonds

With these you are unlikely to make a loss, before you purchase your property.

Johny.

3. Mark88

Mark88 Active Member

Thank you for your input John.
    I feel most comfortable with term deposits since they give guranteed interest. The only down side I can see with a term deposit is that I can not continually add to it.
    I am not in favour of an internet bank account because they seem to pay low interest (my currently netsaver bank account is only paying about 3.5-4%pa).
    What would be the advantage of a fixed interest fund over a term deposit? ..The fixed interest funds I have reasearched tend to pay about 4.5% ..so wouldn't a term deposit be better?
    Also, I don't really know what RBA bonds are and the dividends that they pay

EDIT:
    Another question that just came to mind; I will be graduating uni at the end of this year with a 40K HECS debt. Should I pay this off with the money I currently have ..or invest as normal and slowly let the HECS debt be paid out of my wages?

Last edited by a moderator: 9th Feb, 2010
  4. Johny_come_lately

RBA bonds are loans to the Australian Government. They pay a coupon over a term and at the end you get your money back. Safe as the Government.

HECS Debt.
    I still have 11000 to pay. Thats from the 90's. You can:

1) pay it early. No pressure of debt, feeling of responsability, do the right thing, start from scratch. or,

2) pay later. build wealth, create a portfolio, get some assets, take on a bit of risk.

Its your choice.

Johny.

5. Johny_come_lately

The difference between a fixed interest fund and a term deposit is, you can withdraw cash from the fixed interest fund at any time (1-3 days).

I am an indexer, so I hold the ASX200. I have a strong stomach ATM.:eek:

You are very lucky to have 20k. Need a bit more for a deposit in 2013.
    What are you studying if you don't mind me asking?:D

Johny.

Last edited by a moderator: 9th Feb, 2010
  6. Mark88

Mark88 Active Member

Thank you for all of your advice John. I will definately do some research on a fixed interest fund and then decide between that and a term deposit.

I am studying veterinary science ..hence the relatively high HECS debt.