Join our investing community

fishdobbo

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by fishdobbo, 20th Mar, 2007.

1. fishdobbo

fishdobbo Member

Hi I'm Fishdobbo :D .... ( I'm usually the '1 in every crowd')

Been an avid reader since December 05 but joined in June 06 as you can tell. Thought it was about time to actually post something however, it got deleted (that has to be some sort of record):rolleyes: !

I am only new to the game of investing and so far so good! Looking forward to Navra's next distribution to see how it travels in the recent market conditions. Things seem to be looking up given current volatility.

Cheers

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Hi Fishdobbo and welcome!

(I took the liberty of moving your post to your very own thread in the introductions forum - hope you don't mind)

I'm curious about the name though ... any hints as to what it means or where it came from ?

3. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Two things:

Gotta love that name: Fishdobbo :D , and
    Congrats on your record; I'll notify Guiness Book of Records! ;)

Welcome to the forum! (that was three things wasn't it?)

Cheers,

Steve P

4. fishdobbo

fishdobbo Member

Well... Fishdobbo originated from a love of fishing and my surname is Dobson so... 1 + 1 = Fishdobbo ;) lol

5. Simon Hampel

Ahh - makes sense now !

6. iiinvestor

iiinvestor Well-Known Member

Since your first post got smoked in 'that' particular thread, I should probably offer a seat over here on the so-called 'sceptics' side of the fence. :D

I have high hopes for you fishdobbo; please don't let us down. :p

7. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Hi Fish and welcome to the forum :)

So where's the best fishing spot in Sydney and surrounds? Do tell....... !!

And what's your investing story? Did I miss it already? Always curious to know what other investors are up to.

8. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Welcome FishDobbo and thanks for making the intro.

While sitting, in a spirit of co-operation and mutual understanding, firmly on the other side of the fence of iiinvestor (ie. I'm over here with the other weak minded gullible 'blue sky' followers ;-) ) I also look forward to any lively debate you might (all) encourage that I can learn from.

Although I think anything beginning with "N" has now been done to death, and I hope to god this place doesn't become a food fight in a kindergarten, when I was so sure we were nearly ready to graduate to Uni :)

Have fun :)

9. fishdobbo

fishdobbo Member

Hi Jacque,

I tend to do most of my fishing in the Hawkesbury area, but you can't go past fishing out off the Central Coast (deep sea) where you get a good mixed bag!

Fairly new to the investment game - we are currently investing in managed funds to help pay down our PPOR as quickly as possible. We bought our home (should I say bought our mortgage) about 7 years ago - thankfully we were introduced to the various investment strategies discussed in this forum about a year ago.

The other element to our investment strategy involves tax minimisation via the agri schemes.

10. Simon Hampel

Have you been happy with these schemes so far ?

11. fishdobbo

fishdobbo Member

Yes, as I would prefer to use the tax monies to pay down the non-deductible loan (which is a fair chunk). In doing this we have the opportunity to redraw that amount as interst only and leveraging it at 50% to reinvest rather than giving it to the government.

The purpose of this is to look forward to the lump sum at the end of the scheme - plus any profits from the agri-product is a bonus. If we were to do this every year we'll continue to reduce the non-deductible loan on the PPOR and set up a line of cash flow for the future.

The other benefits of this scheme for us has meant eligibility for further tax benefits such as family tax and child care benefits that we previously wouldn't have been able to receive.

12. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"The other element to our investment strategy involves tax minimisation via the agri schemes"

fishdobbo,

Could you elaborate a bit more about agri schemes and which one are you in?
    Amount of tax we are paying after all deductions is killing me softly at the moment. :mad:

13. fishdobbo

fishdobbo Member

Tropo,

We are currently with Great Southern Plantations. The 2006 Project, which was trees (for paper products), was our first year and we will most likely invest with them again for the 06/07 financial year. The 2007 Project is wine grapes.

I totally agree with you, our tax situation was killing us as we didn't really have any substantial deductions to minimise the amount we were paying.

I must admit that when first introduced to this method of tax minimisation we were apprehensive, especially because we were new to investing. After all things considered, we decided to give it a go.

14. Bantam Roosta

Bantam Roosta Well-Known Member

Agri schemes

Four Corners, ABC, Monday 8:30pm.

They will be talking about agri tax minimisation schemes and whether or not they can front up with their promises as a lot are thought to have overstated potential yields.

I just caught the end of the ad, don't know anything else.

BR