Fix the little things....

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Jacque, 12th Jun, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

It never ceases to still amaze me how many vendors put their properties on the market and overlook the little things that make a difference to the all important first impression of the buyer. And I'm not just talking about tenanted properties here, but lots of home owners as well.
    Whether or not they've been in the place so long they don't notice anymore or they simply can't be bothered to spend a few days oiling, tightening or even covering up, I thought it might be fun to start a list, so feel free to add if you feel like it :)

My pet peeves include the following:

Sticky front and back doors
    Peeling paint at the entrance/door/front foyer
    Loose door handles
    Greenery growing out of gutters
    Torn flyscreens
    Dripping taps
    Dirt of any description
    Broken blind cords/pulley systems
    Mould
    Chipped tiles in obvious spots
    Pet odours

2. Jacque

OK I guess no one wanted to add to my list but after this week's inspections I just have to add a couple more!!:

Icebox dwellings (if it's 2degrees outside at least turn the heating on so we know it works!)

Rat traps in the laundry (I almost got caught myself :eek:)

Perhaps I need to become less fussy, and though I can overlook these things, it does speak tomes about the general condition of the house, especially when it's owner occupied.
    So the message to sellers is- Clean up your act!!

3. davo6253

davo6253 Well-Known Member

Hi Jacque,

You make these points obviously so that sellers can achieve maximum price. However from the other side as a buyer, do you think seeing things you mentioned and other drawbacks may indicate the property could go for less than it should? I am assuming you get a building / pest inspection to check its just presentation thats the problem! Just curious as to whether this affects how you view a property for your clients.

Cheers,
    David

4. Jacque

Presentation does affect buyer opinion, of course! Unless I have a client looking specifically for a reno project most buyers are after a well cared for property, and when the little things haven't been taken care of, it's a fair indication that other more important issues need attention ie: plumbing, electrical, roofing, rising damp, wood rot etc.
    B/P's will expose such issues, naturally, and price always plays a part :D especially if its back to the negotiating table after a few nasty unexpected surprises turn up in the report.