Foray into Share Trading

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by coopranos, 12th Jun, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. coopranos

coopranos Well-Known Member

Will be very interesting to see how our market reacts to the killer jump in the dow overnight!

2. Brengun__

Brengun__ Active Member

Current portfolio

Hi all, I realized I have amassed a proper portfolio of shares so I thought I'd work out what % I had in each.

AEU-1.65%, API-1.39%, BHP -2.66%, BKI-8.44%, BKR-2.15%, BKW-3.70%,
    BLY-1.67%, CBA-3.79%, CHO-5.48%, CIY-1.73%, CKP-0.59%, CLV-4.53%,
    CTX-2.70%, CWT-5.96%, CYG-1.51%, FXI-6.81%, MLT-9.22%, NAB-6.83%,
    NHC-2.38%, PPT-5.70%, RHG-PEND 1.37%, SIP-2.35%, SOE-3.36%,
    SOL-12.27%, WPL-1.75%.

This works out in the categories as
    Automobiles & Components-1.51%
    Capital Goods-1.67%
    Commercial Banks-10.61%
    Construction Materials-3.70%
    Diversified Financial Resources-40.75%
    Diversified Financials - Consumer Finance-1.37%
    Diversified Financials - Multi Sector Holdings-12.27%
    Diversified Metals & Mining-2.66%
    Healthcare Equipment & Services-5.92%
    Media-2.15%
    Oil & Gas-6.83%
    Pharmaceuticals & Biotechnology-2.35%
    Real Estate Management & Development-8.20%

3. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

I am still waiting for my level on XJO to be hit (6445/55)
    We'll see....:p

4. Bantam Roosta

Bantam Roosta Well-Known Member

Well, not a bad start. Up 60. RIO has taken a hit, while everyone else seems to be charging along.

BR

5. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Yep...not bad so far.
    My number is not hit yet (missed by 8 points :eek: - intra high), but at last XJO broke up resistance level (6403/09). ;)

6. bundy1964

bundy1964 Well-Known Member

Well I took a 0.1% hit in the end today:( still it balances out the profit I made the other day when the market was down.

7. coopranos

Yeah, it is good to see that resistance level take a hit, hopefully we can get over this range it seems stuck in for the last couple of months.
    I had the best week yet, finally finished up in the black which is nice!
    I got back into TAP (after being stopped out) on some good volume signals and that continues to look reasonable to me.

8. Takestock

Takestock Well-Known Member

I thought you only started investing in shares a few months ago! You've certainly developed a large diversified portfolio quickly!

How have you found investing in shares compared to property? Maybe a tad more exciting?

Steve

9. Brengun__

Brengun__ Active Member

I still hold my first ever shares, CWT which I bought on 10th March this year. The dividends are over 10.3%. I used my property brain to assert the land they held was worth it and with cashflow like that on long leases, I figured it was reasonably safe.

For real excitement, I recently bought a few API. They appealed as an underdog, but it's no biggie if they don't pan out well.

Shares are much quicker than property in rises and falls and even settlement. It has also broadened my knowledge of Australian companies and the Aussie economy as well.

I just got very tired of maintenance issues with so many Ip's and thought why not keep the better ones and use the equity to try to make my money grow in another way. Shares seem to fill the bill.

I have live watchlists of all my share holdings and more watchlists of those I'd like to get into. I am as yet only using a conservative loc in a NAB portfolio loan. I have it split into multiple accounts for shares, property and personal to make it all easier come tax time.

The shares are not mortgaged, nor is my beach house for the loc. I am keeping them in reserve. Got to keep some powder dry. :)

10. coopranos

Current situation:

SSX - +9%
    MAP - +1%
    SPN - closed the position (didnt hit the stop, but wasnt happy with the technical indicators so bailed on it which turned out to be a reasonable move at this stage)
    CGF -4%
    CIF -3%
    NHC +10%
    PBG +2%
    TAP +8% (jumped back in after being stopped out, good technical indicators)
    IWL +1%
    WTP -2%
    DJS -1%
    HVN +1%

Overall down 3% (including closed positions and , still learning a lot - trying to resist the urge to overtrade always have to have full open positions. Previously as soon as I was stopped out another position was opened the next day on the first new signal, even if it is a fair way into its current trend.
    On my portfolio where I am following a newsletter recomendation portfolio I am up 4% (more allocated to this portfolio so I am actually slightly up overall).

11. coopranos

An interesting market at the moment, that is for sure!
    I will post full updates at the end of the week.
    I have been stopped out of only one of my positions (last friday), and have made the decision to not enter again until I see a top quality trade and am comfortable with the market in general.
    I fully expected to come home to a whole bunch of sale contracts from stopped out positions today, however I actually did better today than in the last week or so (thanks to the good people at IWL!). I have no idea what they do there, but they are doing fantastic work (for today at least!).
    Am doing some very thorough self-education at the moment, and have realised how completely under planned I am for trading.
    I am going to spend some good time developing an appropriate busienss plan, etc.