Free data on real estate pricing?

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by samaka, 10th Nov, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. samaka

samaka Well-Known Member

I've tried googling for free pricing reports - but I'm not coming up empty -most places want to charge you a fee for a report.

Does anyone know of a free source to find out median rents and prices for suburbs - hopefully with a fair amount of history as well (10 to 20 years)?

2. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Best source is Property Information from the Experts: Residex but you will need to fork out approx $90 for a quarterly report. Look at the bigger picture- if you're prepared to spend hundreds of thousands on an IP it's small bikkies to enable you to conduct part of your due diligence.

3. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

4. Jacque

Whilst Domain information can certainly be useful, it is limited somewhat in that not all price results are published online, with some anomalies occuring as well (see an earlier post on this I put on some time ago about false pricing by particular agents). You also lack the specifics of the property in some circumstances ie: features such as no. of bedrooms, carspaces etc.
    Far better, in my opinion, to buy the data and be assured of accuracy and some detail.

5. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

I thought you were reffering to REIV in that last post.. domain is published using state revenue office data.. whereas REIV is using what agents submit?

6. Jacque

Sorry- my mistake. The earlier post I was referring to was sold prices on Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au not Domain.
    Again, however, I'd be wary of blindly believing data that agents supply to any websites as there can be anomalies.
    See this link for my earlier post about incorrect price results.

7. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

yeh just shows how desperate realestate agents are.. to falsely lie about sale prices.. I'm suprised someone doesn't sue them!

8. gad

gad Well-Known Member

9. Jacque

How did you go locating free data?