Join our investing community

Free money from bank

Discussion in 'Finance & Banking' started by brendangee, 29th May, 2008.

  1. brendangee

    brendangee New Member

    29th May, 2008
    Hi all,
    Posting on behalf of my fiance',
    she had recently applied for a job at the commonwelth bank she got the job
    but changed her mind when her current boss upped her pay.

    Last friday she had $1100 appear in her account. On her statement it said "Commonwealth Ban 00264006".

    She thinks that the bank has paid her even though she dos not work there.
    She rang them up and asked where the money had come from, they said they would put a trace on it and where going to charge her for that.

    They did not end up charging for the trace, but they said it would take two working days and she has yet to hear back from them five days later.

    What should she do?
  2. AsxBroker

    AsxBroker Well-Known Member

    8th Sep, 2007
    Sydney, NSW
    Hi Brendan,

    Leave it exactly where it is.
    Until you know it is legally her money don't touch it.

    As far as I'm aware (I could be wrong), if you find something which has been "lost" and report it to the police, after three months you get to keep it.
    Personally I would report to the police and also double check about how long it is unclaimed and then you get to keep it (legally).



    PS Don't forget to report it to the police as you have done nothing wrong (well your fiancee).
    Last edited by a moderator: 29th May, 2008
  3. Billv

    Billv Getting there

    15th Jul, 2007
    Sydney, NSW
    Just leave it there
    Someone will be missing it and will come looking for it and will take it back.
    I wouldn't have told them anything and certainly wouldn't have paid to do a trace.