Managed Funds Fund return "stress testing"

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by bazza52, 22nd Feb, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bazza52

bazza52 Member

After reading Steve's LoE articles, I thought I'd better stress test our fund returns with a 2% interest rate rise, and compare to leaving cash in a PPoR offset account.

Current story is;
    • Cash and LoC
    • 50% Margin Loan
    • I won't list all the funds here but Navra WS is 40% of portfolio
    • Assuming 10% fund return
    • Assuming 2% growth

I think I've missed something, because it seems that after rates go up just over 1% (see attached spreadsheet), an offset saves the same amount? We are currently capitalising Margin Loan interest, but I have included 2 scenarios in the spreadsheet.

Being new with fund investing, I appreciate any feedback and corrections!! :)

Attached Files:

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

You're taking out tax first and then calculating expenses ... you need to calculate return minus expenses and THEN you pay tax on the remainder. I see that you do discount the interest costs by the tax rate ... but I think you would be better to do it the way your accountant would ... it will give a more accurate result. (You may get the same result - I haven't checked it in detail).

Fundamentally, with an assumed total return of 12% (10% distribution + 2% growth), you've not got much buffer when interest rates hit 10%. You really need a lower LVR (your actual LVR is nearly 70% when the LOC is taken into account) if you really think that 10%+2% is the best you can do on your portfolio.

As you've shown, your "risk free" return is pretty high - you need to think about whether the returns you can get with a high LVR and a conservative return on your portfolio justify the risk !!

Perhaps some diversification into more growth funds would help ?

3. bazza52

bazza52 Member

Thanks for the quick reply Sim.

That makes a fair bit difference, much nicer outcome (updated in spreadsheet).

After speaking with our planner, and also from reading on this forum, I gather that 10% distribution is a good (yet conservative) figure to use for planning.

The purpose of this fund strategy is to generate some cashflow while we are paying back a family debt on our PPoR (gone any day!:D). Next step we plan to get a CG IP soon.

Attached Files: