Managed Funds Funds & shares - Anyone heading for the exits yet?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by BillV, 4th Sep, 2010.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Is anyone worried about the sharemarket atm?
    I am and I think after the recent share market appreciation perhaps we should start taking out some of our gains.

more here
    Abandoning a treacherous market | Karen Maley | Commentary | Business Spectator

2. bezbezengi

bezbezengi New Member

Worth thinking about maybe ??

I agree there is some pretty depressing commentary out there at the moment. And to be honest, some of the figures regarding the financial health of the US consumer and various governments out there are plain frightening.

I think sometimes though, you need to keep in mind where these stories are coming from. Much of the financial press seems to emanate from the US and Europe which is exactly where all the troubles are at the moment.

If you take a step back and look at the performance of the Asia Pac region (other brics as well?!) there are definitely some more promising signs.

As for running for the exits, I can certainly see why you would consider it. Especially if you were closer to retirement. My investment timeframe is a little bit longer though so I’m trying very hard to keep in the mind some of Buffet’s wise words……”Be greedy when others are fearful, and fearful when others are greedy….”

3. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

I agree but our stock market is very much linked to the US so whatever happens there will impact our shares as well.

Yes there are many promising signs and particularly from our miners but I feel that our miners, banks and other blue chip stocks had their run so there is no point buying them now (or keeping them if I can buy them later for much less).

I figured I'll take my wins, put the money in the bank earning 6% or 7% and wait till the next storm comes out of the US or the EU when I'll be able to buy CBA and the others at a discount...:D

4. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

If Warren Buffet thinks the future will be better, then we are right. Right?

Johny.

5. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

It depends on how much cash you have available to support your margin loans