Join our investing community

G'day everyone - new to InvestEd.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jono, 10th Jul, 2009.

1. Jono

Jono Member

Hi everyone, been lurking for a few weeks now and finally decided to take the plunge and post something :)

My name's Jonathan and I've got a Diploma in Financial Service. I recently started an Aussie personal finance blog and am on here to enrich my knowledge.

Hope to talk to you all soon!

2. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Hi Jono and welcome

So what's your preferred investment strategy at the moment?

3. Jono

Jono Member

Hi Jacque, thanks for the welcome :)

I'm of the belief that, for the moment, cash is king. I think we'll see a spike in unemployment over the next 12 months that's likely to hurt both stocks and properties. In other words, I think the global economic crisis hasn't really hit us yet, and I think it's naieve to believe that we can always count on China to cushion our fall.

What about you?

4. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Hi Jono

Unpredictability is certainly the word at the moment, isn't it? Govt intervention, of course, plays a huge part in determining what happens in the future, and with new packages and grants etc being introduced every other month, it's difficult to know what direction any asset class is going to take.

Being a buyers agent, I'm asked frequently about my opinion of the housing market and, though I don't have a crystal ball, I can report that the FHB market is strong across all suburbs that I work in, and I would anticipate this waning sharply come the end of the year, when the extra $7K runs out. Having said this, however, it's also interesting knowing that so many investors are holding back for this very reason and anticipate "bargains" being available early next year. I have mixed thoughts on this myself but only time will tell, along with whatever other "surprises" we have in store next year.
    Certainly not dull times, whichever way you look at it...
    And as far as our recession goes, I'm still amazed (truly) at the number of customers in JB Hi Fi every time I pass on the weekend...

5. Billv

Billv Getting there

Hi Jono and welcome

IMO the impact of the GFC has already been felt here but has been cushioned by government intervention.

I also believe that unemployment will increase but it will be a temporary setback as companies restructure and pull themselves together.

I don't believe unemployment will have any impact on stocks
    and as long as interest rates stay low there will be little impact on property prices.

cheers