Join our investing community

Getting into paraplanning

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by MrJohn, 27th Mar, 2012.

1. MrJohn

MrJohn Member

Just wondering if anyone has experience breaking into the paraplanning field. I'm currently working on the DFS, and have six months in an admin role in a FP office, putting the advice documents together, doing the forms, implementing the advice, following up, etc. I had to leave that company but did so in good standing. I'm still in the financial services industry, but not in a FP capacity. I'm very interested in getting into paraplanning once I have the diploma done, but I'm not sure how hard that is going to be. Most of the ads I see want 12 months paraplanning experience.

1) Anyone know what it's like being a Paraplanner at one of the big four banks? Is it a good gig, do they take entry level people, what the $ is like, etc.? Also, do they have paraplanners all around Australia or is it centralized in a few places? I worked for a boutique firm so obviously we were all in one place, I'm wondering if big companies do the same or not.

2) There's always ads from agencies like QPL and other ones, saying they take entry level paraplanners. Anyone know if I would have to start out in an admin role there too?

3) Just generally what you can start at $-wise as a new paraplanner. I'd obviously prefer to not leave my job for a pay cut, but I will if I have to for the long term.

Cheers.