Join our investing community

GradDip in FP vs Masters in FP

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by andrewmkchan, 14th Mar, 2012.

1. andrewmkchan

andrewmkchan New Member

Hi, I'm new to this forum and looking to start my career in financial planning.

I have taken a look at the forums, information packs and had a chat with some practicing financial planners and believe that financial planning may be the profession for me.

However, I am having a difficult time deciding where to start.

I have a B Science (Psychology) degree and looking to do postgraduate study to get into the field in contrast to undergraduate (diploma, another bachelors)

My two options, as I see them, are:

1. Grad diploma in financial planning from Kaplan - 1 yr part time
    2. Master's degree in Commerce (Financial Planning) from UWS - 2 yr part time

My questions for investEd:
    a) Which course will be more attractive to employers looking for someone with no financial planning experience?

b) Will there be a chance I will be overqualified if I have a Master's degree with zero experience?

c) If I was to complete the GradDip in 1 year and immediately start working as a junior paraplanner/financial planner - would this be a better path to take than spending 2 years studying the Masters?

d) Focusing on the institutions - How reputable is a diploma from Kaplan? How reputable is a masters of commerce (financial planning) from UWS?

Any and all advice will be welcome.

2. Terryw

Terryw Well-Known Member

You may be able to get advance standing or credit for the grad dip subjects if you later decide to do the masters.

Does UWS have a grad dip which you could upgrade to a masters?

3. andrewmkchan

andrewmkchan New Member

Uws has the grad cert which is not rg146 compliant.
    I do understand that graddip gets advanced standing.

Another thing to consider is that the masters at uws is only 4k$ more than the kaplan graddip for a higher level qualification - making the uws better value. Not the most important thing but is quite interesting.

4. Terryw

Terryw Well-Known Member

I am intending to do a masters in law/taxation at UNSW/ATAX next year. It is mainly about taxation, but there are a few financial planning subjects there too. Have you looked into this course?

Not sure if it is RG146 compliant though.

5. andrewmkchan

andrewmkchan New Member

Thanks terry, i took a look at it and it doesnt meet the rg146 requirement unfortunately. I guess its because he focus is taxation and not financial planning.

6. Lloyd Harris

Lloyd Harris Member

Experience

Hi mate,

I would suggest that you should just start at the beginning, by getting compliant with the RG146 through something like a diploma of financial planning.

Your learning will make much much more sense if you can apply it while in the industry on the job. You just need to get a foot in the door even if it is in an admin or paraplanning role - that's what I did.

I have done the postgrad quals such as Grad Dip Fin Planning and a Masters Degree in finance, and I think that your life will be a misery if you don't already have industry experience. Further to this, you won't take as much from the learning unless you can apply it as you go.

Best of luck!